Coral Or Bryazoan?

kauffy

Found this in a permian layer near sydney NSW Australia.

I found 2 and there were several others in situ unable to be removed. But what excatly is it?

Coral or bryazoan? my guess would be bryazoan as i have some similar smaller branches from the ordivicion.

I have never come across any fossils like this in the permian rocks so if anyone has any info or would like to take a quess as to what this is ...???

Regards

this one seems to be a whole specimin

P1060468.jpg

P1060464.jpg

P1060462.jpg

P1060461.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

It looks quite similar to Chaetetes, normally defined as a coral; but they may not be,and it has been variously suggested that they can be included in the sponge, algae or bryozoan phillums.They dissapear during Permian.It occurs aswell in USA.

Found this in a permian layer near sydney NSW Australia.

I found 2 and there were several others in situ unable to be removed. But what excatly is it?

Coral or bryazoan? my guess would be bryazoan as i have some similar smaller branches from the ordivicion.

I have never come across any fossils like this in the permian rocks so if anyone has any info or would like to take a quess as to what this is ...???

Regards

this one seems to be a whole specimin

P1060468.jpg

P1060464.jpg

P1060462.jpg

P1060461.jpg

It looks quite similar to Chaetetes, normally defined as a coral; but they may not be,and it has been variously suggested that they can be included in the sponge, algae or bryozoan phillums.They dissapear during Permian.It occurs aswell in USA.

Kauffy,

I agree with Moropus, I think it is Chaetetes sp. And he is correct in that there is not universal agreement as to what it is exactly(Coral, Bryozoa, Algae). I have always thought it a tabulate coral because that is where it is classified in my early paleo text.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

interesting....

I did some googleing and it looks very similar... thanks a lot! now I have something to catalogue it as.

Regards Kauffy

AAAHA!!! :o

im afraid you two were a tad off before, i did some random googling and a came across my "bryazoan*** ;) yep thats right its a Bryazoan!!

heres the info from the site, has a picture of one almost identicle to mine :lol: : This is a specimen of a bryozoan, sometimes called a “moss animal”, and this particular one is called Stenopora. This one comes from the south coast of NSW, and is Permian in age. You can see the tubules in which the animal lived. Bryozoans were somewhat like corals, but belong to a completely different phylum. They were small colonial animals. Some of them were like fans, but there are a great range of different bryozoans. This one is sometimes called a “stony bryozoan”, because it looks like a big lump of stone.

well there we go..i guess we were all fooled :P

AAAHA!!! :o

im afraid you two were a tad off before, i did some random googling and a came across my "bryazoan*** ;) yep thats right its a Bryazoan!!

heres the info from the site, has a picture of one almost identicle to mine :lol: : This is a specimen of a bryozoan, sometimes called a “moss animal”, and this particular one is called Stenopora. This one comes from the south coast of NSW, and is Permian in age. You can see the tubules in which the animal lived. Bryozoans were somewhat like corals, but belong to a completely different phylum. They were small colonial animals. Some of them were like fans, but there are a great range of different bryozoans. This one is sometimes called a “stony bryozoan”, because it looks like a big lump of stone.

well there we go..i guess we were all fooled :P

Kauffy,

Very good. Successful research can be most satisfying. Could you please post information on the website that provided the image and information. I am interested in the Permian and I'm building a bibliography of Permian information. I would like to add the site you found to my list.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

hey jkfoam

Heres the link..( the bryazoan is the first picture...you can click the map to get a certain area around sydney...if you interested in the permian click south coast and north (hunter valley) http://lrrresources.cli.det.nsw.edu.au/fossils/finding.aspx ).its not really an information packed web site but it does have a few pictures of fossils from NSW and it tells you what they are and other info ect ect ... its sort of a begginers guide to fossils in NSW

When you get your Bibliography completed i would love to see what information you have dug up...im also very interested in the Permian, i think its one of the most fascinating time periods!

Regards Chris

• I found this Informative 1