3D Printer Trilobite

Jesuslover340

The school recently got a 3D printer for the art department, and, being friends with the art instructor, she had it make a trilobite for me and gave it to me today, so I thought I'd share :) However, please note that this was NOT made by me, nor the art instructor (they already had the design in the accompanying system online), but I thought this thread the most appropriate one...if it isn't, please, moderators, move it to one deemed appropriate? Thanks!

post-11650-0-29886900-1426301113_thumb.png

post-11650-0-10012000-1426301085_thumb.png

post-11650-0-61931300-1426301008_thumb.png

Edited by Jesuslover340

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

post-11650-0-71640600-1426301220_thumb.pngpost-11650-0-71476100-1426301238_thumb.png

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."

Nice! Whats it made of?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Nice, I love the part that it s articulated: he kan roll up :D

I wonder if the art instructor could paint him? it s just a tought, but It would look even better.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

I have often wondered how good a copy of a trilobite that you could make with a high quality 3d laser scanner and a high quality home 3D printer. My suspicions have been that the resolution is just not good enough to provide any detail. Does anyone out there have any examples of a scan and printing of a real trilo. I keep thinking that these printers work best when the objects are very geometric in shape (like the printed trilo here.)

Made out of plastic, simplistically :)

They could, but are quite busy, so probably best not to ask it of her :)

Malcolm, I cannot say for sure-the file for this was already set up and came with it; it could be that no one's tried to create a better file and print it/create a more realistic one. The printer's quite adept...it would take more time, but if someone created a more detailed trilo, I could see the printer up to the task.

• 3 months later...

Check out Treak's posts on 3D printing for some additional ideas on fossil print outs.