Microscope Recommendations For Prep Work

Cluros

Can anyone give me suggestions as far as what to look for in a microscope for prep work? I have a 1950's Bausch and Lomb but the working distance is too short and I can't see how I can attach a Barlow lens to it as there are no threads on the bottom lens.

Is it a B&L Zoomscope? The two I've owned allow the Barlow to screw right on. Perhaps if you post a picture of your rig, someone might recognize the model and know of a work around to attach the needed lens.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I looked at it again and you can screw on a 38 mm lens. The question now is where can I find a Barlow lens and what size should I use? I noticed that they can be found in 0.3 and 0.5. I currently have about a 4 3/4 inch working depth.

Edited by Cluros

Last spring I bought an Amscope 10 to 40x binocular microscope from them for $200. It has a 6 to 8 inch working distance, and I am very pleased with it. Here is a link to a similar scope from them, I don't see mine available now, ( glad I bought it than). I believe the boom stand is a must have, and I get very good pictures through it with my Olympus point and shoot in close mode, held on the eyepiece.

Here is a link.

http://www.amscope.com/5x-10x-binocular-boom-arm-stereo-microscope-light.html

Here are a few photos through it.

A Fenestrate Bryozoa, may be, Dictyonema Pertenue Foerste, and an Unknown.

post-13244-0-90082100-1426428704_thumb.jpg

post-13244-0-09291200-1426428716_thumb.jpg

Spines from an unknown Productid Brachiopod.

post-13244-0-29946000-1426428710_thumb.jpg

These are Mississippian age, Meadville member, Waverly formation, Strongsville member, Far southern Cuyahoga County Ohio.

Edited by ZiggieCie

I looked at it again and you can screw on a 38 mm lens. The question now is where can I find a Barlow lens and what size should I use? I noticed that they can be found in 0.3 and 0.5. I currently have about a 4 3/4 inch working depth.

I have a 0.5X and this provides about 7" of space - platform to lens. Works well for me your mileage may vary. eBay is the obvious place to look. There are tons there. Unfortunately, it appears the "modern" 'scopes employ a larger diameter, so it will take some looking. When I recently checked there was only a single B&L (original) listed. I would think, (but have no knowledge) that one of the current makers would make a lens to fit the old B&L. There are many of those vintage scopes out there, so I would guess there is some demand. Good luck in your search. If your old 'scope is serviceable, hunting down a Barlow will get you out cheaper than buying even a low priced new rig.

I recall that Forum member, Malcolmt reported purchase of eyepieces for vintage 'scopes from a current maker. Perhaps they also make Barlows. You may wish to PM him to inquire about his source. He is a very nice, helpful member.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Ziggie, thanks for the Amscope recommendation. I've seen them before and wondered about their quality. Snolly, I appreciate all of the info that you provided. I do like my Bausch and Lomb and find I can look through it all day without fatigue.

The old B&L scopes are excellent quality with good optics. If you have one that works (in good alignment, no mold on inside lens's then a barlow is the route to go. Personally I am partial to the Olympus and Nikon scopes but the B&L are good scopes as well. I am a believer that the older used high end scopes from B&L, Nikon and Olympus are better optics than what you find in a lot of the Russian and Chinese budget scopes and you can get them on eBay at decent prices.

A .5 or a .6 barlow will do the job. I personally use a .6 most of the time as it gives me a decent range on my prepping scope (.9 to 4.0 scope objective zoom range with 20x high eyepoint wide field ocular). I also own .5 and .75 barlows.

Used Barlow's come up all the time on ebay in the $50 range you just need to get the correct width for your model B&L as it varies from scope to scope. A barlow is a very simple lens to make so any that fit your scope should do the job with little noticeable difference between manufactures. If available though I would go with one made for your scope specifically by B&L. . This is unlike oculars for which there are some pretty bad Chinese ones out there. The lens source I had was for high eye point wide field oculars not barlows. The oculars are very reasonably priced and decent quality from a Chinese source with free shipping.

Hi Malcomt. I took your advice and bought a barlow lens. Of course then my microscope lamp died. When I opened it up I found that the bulb was like a 1950s car tail lamp. It took awhile to find a source but I have two on the way. Until then I guess I am limited to doing some overdue trimming of future prep projects. Thanks for your suggestion. I do like my Bausch and Lomb. I can look through it all day without eye strain.