Is This A Bird Claw?

old bones

I just found this tonight in TFF member Sacha's Rattlesnake Creek matrix from Gainesville Florida. I took photos from both sides, top and bottom, and the joint end.

Thanks for looking.

Julianna

post-13648-0-00125300-1426383257_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I'm guessing maybe turtle?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm guessing maybe turtle?

You know, I actually considered turtle... and then dismissed it. It is too wide on the tip for a bird, isn't it. At least it's a claw, and not a beat shark tooth. lol

There are birds with claws that have such little curvature, but they are too large for this one. My guess is just by default, thinking about what might have straight-ish claws that would be only 5mm long (as in a very young turtle).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Mole claw... I think

• I found this Informative 1

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Mole claw... I think

edd, I believe you have 'nailed' it. After I googled photos of mole claws, I could see my find looks like mole. The spatulate appearance of this claw would make sense if it was made for digging.

Julianna

Cool claw Julianna!!! :D.

Thanks, Lissa! It's a pretty looking thing, neat detail. Very interesting finds in this matrix.

I found a mole claw core myself, including a jaw section and humerus... From a Florida river.

post-1674-0-21428700-1426450469_thumb.jpg

Edited by edd

I didn't think it was a turtle claw because the ones I've seen are more simple in form - no real textural detail like that one with a short groove on the side at most - but is that why it's not a turtle? I have seen fossils identified as turtle claws out of the Hell Creek Formation and some from the Miocene-Pleistocene of Florida. They were flatter like that but also slightly curved and more pointed than spatulate as you noted.

You know, I actually considered turtle... and then dismissed it. It is too wide on the tip for a bird, isn't it. At least it's a claw, and not a beat shark tooth. lol

Whatever it is, your photo(s) is/are wonderful. This is a textbook example of how to ask us to ID a fossil.

Could it be a croc claw? Low curvature, wide spatulate end, prominent blood groove.

Whatever it is, your photo(s) is/are wonderful. This is a textbook example of how to ask us to ID a fossil.

Could it be a croc claw? Low curvature, wide spatulate end, prominent blood groove.

Thank you for the compliment on my photos. :) I have had a lot of help from forum members regarding the views necessary for an ID. And I have to admit that making a good picture of a specimen is as satisfying (almost) as the finding itself.

I have never found a fossil croc claw, so I need to look at some pictures to see if there is a resemblance to my tiny claw. edd has me pretty convinced about the mole theory, but I am open to any suggestions. I would love to be able to label this one for sure. My claw does have a very deep groove... hmmm

Julianna

I tried to google mole claw ... nothing relevant. Even though I suggested croc... I am leaning more toward mole. I think it is too spatulate for a croc. I tried to google mole claw, but got nothing relevant.

This is about all I can find:

post-423-0-59007200-1426555432_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-40728400-1426555698_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The claws in the picture are not mine, found the photo on the web but the claw I have is very similar or identical and I had it id'ed as mole claw.

post-1674-0-79022900-1426699018_thumb.jpg

The claws in the picture are not mine, found the photo on the web but the claw I have is very similar or identical and I had it id'ed as mole claw.

The photo you found does look very much like my find, edd. While I found the idea of a croc claw intriguing, all the pictures I found on line seemed way too robust for a match.

Thanks for your interest and help with this find.

Thanks, Auspex and jpc, for your help too.

Julianna