fossilized6s

nice collection compliments

Thank you, Michele.

:drool:

Did you paint something over that Tully?

Thanks, Wrangellian.

I did. I cleared it with egg white. It's a nice natural clear coat that can always be washed off. I did it for the 99% of people that haven't a clue on what they are looking at. I kept getting crazy looks when i tried showing people, because the preservation is so poor. Hahaha

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Yes but now the tradeoff is people think "spectacular!" when what they are looking at is not really what they are looking at, if you know what I mean! Smart to use something that can be washed off tho. Never thought of egg whites.. it can be washed off without scrubbing? I assume the fossil can stand up to the washing when the time for it comes.

Yes but now the tradeoff is people think "spectacular!" when what they are looking at is not really what they are looking at, if you know what I mean! Smart to use something that can be washed off tho. Never thought of egg whites.. it can be washed off without scrubbing? I assume the fossil can stand up to the washing when the time for it comes.

I know what you are saying. But im not fabricating anything that isn't really there, just highlighting. And considering the Tully monster can only be found in one location in the World, makes every Tully fossil "spectacular" (to me at least).

Especially one that is almost complete and measures 8"+. I may be a once in a lifetime find for me (i hope not).

Very nice!!!

Thanks Joey. I would love to see your collection.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Wow Charlie! That display looks awesome, I love all the stands you made! Really let's you see and appreciate all the pieces : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Wow Charlie! That display looks awesome, I love all the stands you made! Really let's you see and appreciate all the pieces : )

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate that.

~Charlie~

I know what you are saying. But im not fabricating anything that isn't really there, just highlighting. And considering the Tully monster can only be found in one location in the World, makes every Tully fossil "spectacular" (to me at least).

Especially one that is almost complete and measures 8"+. I may be a once in a lifetime find for me (i hope not).

Thanks Joey. I would love to see your collection.

I've been thinking about how I want to display my Mazon fossils, i'll be taking a trip to IKEA soon lol... I'd love to make mine but it looks like I'll be buying a case.

You have a great display and that Tully is awesome!

It's always great to see a display of a variety of forms from one deposit - what tends to be found along with an uncommon find or two. Nice work too.

I'm wrapping up the finishing touches on my Mazon Creek cabinet. I made custom lexan shelves. Wrapped the backer with basket weave vinyl. And mounted rope lighting around it. One problem is the plastic doors. They're shot and i need to replace them with good ol' fashioned glass.

I also made all of the custom mounts for my collection. I tried to utilize as much space as possible, so i made the mounts all different sizes. All of the mounts are cut lexan. I still have to make a few more, but 99% are done. And if i ever have the luxury of finding better examples of the specimens i have now, i can just keep cycling them into my main large display case. These are just my best finds to date.

Charlie, you could do one of your wonderful sketches of a Tully Monster to help folks visualize your specimen :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've been thinking about how I want to display my Mazon fossils, i'll be taking a trip to IKEA soon lol... I'd love to make mine but it looks like I'll be buying a case.

You have a great display and that Tully is awesome!

Ikea has some cool stuff for displays. Their lighting ideas and options are great too. Just watch out for weight restrictions on the shelves. I know you wouldn't worry about with your Mazon stuff, but that Mossy jaw may be a different story. Haha

Awesome ! I can't wait till we have one that stunning !

Thanks! "To the motivated go the spoils". If you ever decide to come up, send me a PM.

Very impressive collection Charlie! Thanks for sharing!

Jay

Thank you Jay.

It's always great to see a display of a variety of forms from one deposit - what tends to be found along with an uncommon find or two. Nice work too.

That is one reason why i love hunting MC. The variety is amazing! There is still undescribed specimens being pulled out of there.

Charlie, you could do one of your wonderful sketches of a Tully Monster to help folks visualize your specimen :)

I actually started to make a small wall hanging display shadow box for my Tully. And i traced around my exact specimen, then stamped it into leather for a backer for the display. I was going to paint it, but then i spoke with a couple of Tully experts about the possible colorings of the creature. And it most likely was a mud brown, neutral colors. So that kind of killed my vision of it for me. I may still do it. We'll see. For now it looks good where it rests.

post-14584-0-89030700-1426862370_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Hey Charlie, very nice displays and super nice fossil finds!!....

Couple of questions for you...I've got a new case that I've been working on retrofitting and was wondering as I could see me overy easily overloading the current glass shelves...I've seen the 1/4" sheets of material available but havent really investigated anything at this stage..larger shelves in my case are only about 16X16" What did you use to cut yours? Did you use a router with any particular bit and have any problems?

Regards, Chris

Really nice Charlie you must be very pleased. Ive started to buy wall cabinets from the 1970s called G-plan for some of my collection , I'm not sure if you have that in the USA.

Heres an example link :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231505278044

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Hey Charlie, very nice displays and super nice fossil finds!!....

Couple of questions for you...I've got a new case that I've been working on retrofitting and was wondering as I could see me overy easily overloading the current glass shelves...I've seen the 1/4" sheets of material available but havent really investigated anything at this stage..larger shelves in my case are only about 16X16" What did you use to cut yours? Did you use a router with any particular bit and have any problems?

Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris.

Just a simple table saw did the trick to cut the 1/2" shelves. All of the mounts were cut using a dremel with a cut off wheel.

Really nice Charlie you must be very pleased. Ive started to buy wall cabinets from the 1970s called G-plan for some of my collection , I'm not sure if you have that in the USA.

Heres an example link :

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231505278044

Thanks Darren.

Nice cabinet. I don't have room for such a piece, but i may acquire a new similar, smaller cabinet like the one in your link. It's amazing how fast a collection can grow.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

Wow those are some really nice finds. Your displays are equally impressive! Great job and good luck with your future hunts!

"Keep Looking Down"

"Work is experience, experience is knowledge, knowledge is confidence, confidence is a job well done!"

Wow those are some really nice finds. Your displays are equally impressive! Great job and good luck with your future hunts!

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Hopefully you're willing to come out sometime this Summer to go hunting.

~Charlie~

Catching up on TFF after being busy out of the country for a while and came across this topic--NICE!

I bet you can look at the pieces in that display and remember the excitement of opening each, seeing them for the first time after a 300 million year wait.

My artistic skills are limited to photography and my craft skills limited to pottery and woodturning so basically I can take photos of my finds and display them in bowls. ;)

The problem with displaying Mazon Creek finds where you have both halves of the complete split nodule is that you want to display them "book-matched" as you have done. I have my lesser finds filling a ceramic bowl I made but had to use rubber bands to keep the pairs together--not the ideal artistic display. I sorted out a few of my better finds (though by no means in league with your collection) and adapted some purchased shadowbox displays to hold them. When I get a spare moment after I've caught up on things I'll try to post a little step-by-step to how I made my displays.

Hoping to make it up your way sometime in June or maybe late May.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken. I love just sitting and staring at my collection while daydreaming about when, where, how and who i might have found that particular piece with. It's like a giant scrap book that only i can read.

The cabinet is ok, for now. I'll have to get a bigger one soon im afraid.

I'd love to see what method you have come up with to display your finds. And if you do make it up, I'll give you a mini display box for your Millipede, if you want it.

~Charlie~

I've had a few free moments to cobble together a simplistic "tutorial" on how I spruced up some inexpensive shadow boxes to display my finds.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/53704-my-mazon-creek-wall-display/?p=575221

My little spiny millipede is currently residing in the upper left corner of the first (leftmost) of the three displays along with some Annularia and a few other non-fern nodules from Pit 2. I'll take you up on a one-of-a-kind Charlie signature series display box when I'm up next but then you'll have to take me out so I can find something worthy of filling it. Just take me to your Tully-trove so I can do a little shopping and pick out the one I like. :D I'll hang it on the wall in my office next to my computer.

Cheers.

-Ken

Wow! Looking more and more like my living room every day! Lol. Fantastic work my friend! Both in the field, and in the shop!

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I can only imaging what your living room must look like.

Hoping to make it up to the Chicagoland area sometime after my next coral reef survey mission (likely in late May or early June). Maybe I'll make a tradition of spending my birthdays fossil hunting?

Cheers.

-Ken

Sounds good to me, Ken. I've got the wheels on the wagon greased up and ready to go. :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Thanks Rob. I have to get down there sometime.

Come on up Ken. I'll have to plan for it.

~Charlie~

Wow that came out killer indeed, and the bending great job on that.

5 stars indeed. :)

So you collected all of these over many years I bet?

Cheers

Jeff