Someone Help Me Confirm What These Might Be

Sydneylh

Hello everyone! I am not positive, but I thought this could be a fossilized coral of some type (chain coral, or tabulate coral maybe)? I've looked at the edges of the dark ridges under a microscope and could see tiny pores. I live in central Iowa and was searching along an eroded creek bank when I found it. Could someone help to confirm what it is or help to point me in the right direction of what it could be?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks everyone!

-Sydney

post-17866-0-99994400-1426689479_thumb.jpg

post-17866-0-99434000-1426689514_thumb.png

post-17866-0-99457300-1426689521_thumb.jpg

It's ironized, not coral. What you want to look for is fossils in it (not that piece but check out the location). I am not familiar with fossils in your location but in NJ, I have found some cool stuff in blocks like that. Your piece isn't showing anything on the surface so personally, I would break it open and see if there is anything inside. Don't do that until you hear some other answers though; just in case i'm wrong (but it looks like iron).

It is an iron/sandstone accretion, with some small siderite/limonite concretions entrained.

post-423-0-01066500-1426691165_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you for the responses! Any advice on how I should start breaking it to see if anything might be inside of it?

A whack with a lump hammer would do it, but I predict that it is homogeneous throughout.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

that has a certain cretaceous look to it....

here's a map showing Iowa Cretaceous deposits:

dinomapgood2.gif

you'll notice some desposits in what could be considered central Iowa. I'm far from being an expert, but I've learned that if you've got cretaceous sandstones, there's a good chance of cretaceous fossils....

She's mid-state, solidly in the Devonian (from which such precipitated iron accretions are not unknown; I've a couple exposures near my Camp in Northern Pennsylvania that I thought were transgressive Carboniferous until I worked out the stratigraphy).

She's mid-state, solidly in the Devonian (from which such precipitated iron accretions are not unknown; I've a couple exposures near my Camp in Northern Pennsylvania that I thought were transgressive Carboniferous until I worked out the stratigraphy).

Hey I'm just curious, what causes the precipitated iron accretions to happen?

Hey I'm just curious, what causes the precipitated iron accretions to happen?

Iron oxide in percolating ground water is often fixed by bacteria. If conditions are right, a solid mass can form as an ironstone concretion. Elsewise, it can cement sand and gravel into a mass like we see here.

Here is one case study that goes into some of the geochemistry: iron concretion.pdf

If you have trouble falling asleep, this will help! :P

• I found this Informative 1