Philosoraptor

Totoket Mountain

Philosoraptor

Anyone ever been up to Totoket Mountain/ Bluff Head? I am considering going there sometime this summer. Any stories or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also what gear to bring would be helpful. If anyone plans on collecting soon then good luck and have a nice day.

Fossildude19

LINK

Regards,

EDIT: LINK 2. Read # 19.

Edited by Fossildude19

Philosoraptor

Thanks. Slowly running out of ideas for spots to hunt.

jpc

road trip...

Jeffrey P

Isn't that land owned by the Nature Conservancy? They might be upset about people digging there. You might want to get permission from them first.

Philosoraptor

Has anyone ever heard of the quarry on the southwest slope of the mountain? I wonder if they would allow fossil collecting in their scrap pile?

Fossildude19

I have never heard of a quarry located there .

The Closest quarry I know of is over near Mt. Pistapaug, and Tilcon does not allow collecting there.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Philosoraptor

Never mind the quarry. After doing a bit more research it turns out to be a basalt quarry.

lookindown75

Hi,

New to fossils and the site. I got interested in fossils on a recent trip to East Texas and when i got home to CT I started doing some research and found this site and thread. Anyways my family owns a large piece of land on top of Totoket. Basically the land is in North Guilford but touches North Branford and Durham and is adjacent to Bluffhead and land trust property. There are areas of shale type rocks and 3 streams and one dry stream bed on the property. If anyone would be willing to share some knowledge with me I would be wiling to take you fossil hunting up there. Shoot me a message.

Thanks

Ed

Athymeforbasil

Hello, I know that this blog is a few years old but I too love in Guilford and would love the opportunity to look for fossils on your property. I am new to looking for fossils but ever since going to dinosaur park in Rocky Hill and seeing fossils from north guilford, I've wanted to go search. Let me know if that is possible. Would love to look at the shale and dried up river bed. Thanks

Fossildude19
8 hours ago, Athymeforbasil said:

Hello, I know that this blog is a few years old but I too love in Guilford and would love the opportunity to look for fossils on your property. I am new to looking for fossils but ever since going to dinosaur park in Rocky Hill and seeing fossils from north guilford, I've wanted to go search. Let me know if that is possible. Would love to look at the shale and dried up river bed. Thanks

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Sadly, however,  lookindown75 never logged in again after posting this.  :( 

Regards,

Athymeforbasil

Thank you

lookindown75

Well all I am back!  Sorry I apologize for letting this hang and never signing back in for years.  Life, or should I say work,  got in the way of everything fun for me.  Since recently being laid off I am taking some me time, and found this old post I had responded to.

I still have access to the family property I described, but I have little knowledge of exactly what or where to look. The only fossil hunting I have done was in Texas and anything we found was purely by luck.  I am very new to this but know the property like the back of my hand so if someone had any info on types of rock or formations to look for I am sure I can lead them to an area on the property that has those features.  

As it is deer hunting season it would be best to go on Sundays.   Feel free to respond to this thread or a private message.  

Thanks

Ed

FossilDAWG

Welcome back.  I'm pretty sure there will be some interest in your offer.

Don