Philosoraptor

Connecticut

Philosoraptor

Hello! I decided to start this topic as a way to discuss my state's fossils. If anyone has ever hunted in Connecticut feel free to share what you found and any stories you have. I feel like Connecticut has a lot of fossils but in isolated locations. So I think that if more people talk about Connecticut and what they have found here it might prove to people that it could be worth a trip here. It could also lead to more discoveries about Connecticut's fossils and geology. With that said, if anyone plans on going collecting soon then good luck and have a wonderful day.

Shellseeker

Good idea. I just searched ALL Forums on TFF for the word Connecticut. There were 193 hits. May be some work but you can find some interesting threads about fossils in Connecticut by reading them. Sometimes it will JUST someone saying " I grew up in Connecticut" but there will be gold in them there threads... SS

By the way. I was born/raised in Bridgeport, Connecticut

Philosoraptor

Ever go collecting in the state?

Shellseeker

No. I left Connecticut in my early 20s. I did go to the Peabody museum 6 months ago and learned about dinosaur trails in the mud/turned/to/rock and also Connecticut Petrified forest, Here is a link http://peabody.yale.edu/exhibits/curators-choice/connecticuts-petrified-forest.

jpc

I knew a gal once out here (WY) who was form CT. She said that they used to find fossil fishes in the shales in her back yard. I don't know where she was from, but they must be out there in the Triassic. Always wanted to give it a try myself, but since I am a MA native, I would also like to try the Triassic of central MA... someday.

Edited by jpc

xonenine

here's a pretty fascinating book on CT fossils, I am already enjoying it...LINK

Carmine

post-4577-0-01527600-1426956532_thumb.jpg

Philosoraptor

Thanks. It was a good read.

Philosoraptor

Has anyone ever collected in Southbury? I might had there to see if I can find and petrified tree fossils from the mesozoic forest. Researchers from Yale found one or maybe two new species

CousinLarry

I am in CT too! The only thing I've ever found was dinosaur footprints in the Middletown area. I have searched for fish, but never found anything. I know they are here as other members on this site have found some, but they're all pretty tight-lipped about it so don't go expecting handouts! hahaaa

I would love to visit the petrified forest, never knew about that till you posted it. I have had a lot of good luck in upstate NY. Pretty much guaranteed to find stuff up there! But CT, nope. Gotta be a super sleuth and do a ton of prospecting to find anything.

Let me know if you ever want to get out sometime! I live near Waterbury. I have much better luck hunting for arrowheads and native american artifacts, those are plentiful if you know where to look!

Fossildude19

post-2806-0-21628000-1428627886.jpg

jpc