3 Small Shark Teeth

Shellseeker

Trying to sort and catalog finds from the last couple of weeks, I came across some not too common small teeth. All 3 measure approximately 27 mm.

I believe that I know 2 of them but very unsure on the 3rd. I can add photos if it will help identification, but the experts here likely will not need them.post-2220-0-90215800-1426965400_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The tooth on the left is a symphyseal Galeocerdo. The one on the bottom looks like an upper cow shark. The other is a mako but I'm not sure which mako.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks Al Dente, I did realize that this might be quick work for the shark experts of which you clearly qualify. A couple of photos of the Tiger and Cow.

post-2220-0-28997200-1426968826_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-29550600-1426968873_thumb.jpg

On the Mako, the fat root and the notch made me question whether it was hastalis. I have since confirmed "no cusp". More photos.

post-2220-0-21158300-1426968968_thumb.jpg

Interestingly, we were finding Makos and Tigers in numbers, but no other Cow Shark teeth.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey Jack, interesting little finds! Thanks for showing...learned something as always. I should go revisit some of what I bagged over the past year....Regards, Chris

Jack, that "cow" tooth looks more like a very badly beat up anterior contortus tooth to me.

Edited by megaholic

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

Jack, that "cow" tooth looks more like a very badly beat up anterior contortus tooth to me.

It is possible. Here is a great link on cow sharks:

http://www.fossilguy.com/gallery/vert/fish-shark/notorynchus/notorynchus.htm

with this photo

n_prim2.jpg Compare top row center with my tooth below:

post-2220-0-51525500-1427128189_thumb.jpg

I 100% believe that is an upper cow shark. I've got quite a number of Florida cow sharks and yours, despite being a different color from the tannins and being in imperfect shape, is a dead ringer for the ones I have from a comparable tooth position.

Jack, I do see the close resemblance of your tooth, but still don't see the twisted tapering contour of the crown on a cow tooth that your tooth appears to have.

This can't be the first time I've been wrong on an ID... :blush:

Also, the likelihood heavily weighs toward being the more common contortus... (I found 10 on Saturday in the sites just north of Zolfo).

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

I have one similar to what I believe SS's would look like if in a little better shape. I'm going to take a front and back picture and post it in this thread.

Here are a couple of photos of a tooth I think is comparable to the one SS has. This is also a FL tooth, and is complete with no river breaks to the actual tooth. It may appear to have some root damage on one side but when you look at the tooth in person you can plainly see it isn't broken.

post-140-0-49414100-1427143690_thumb.jpg

post-140-0-60224700-1427143719_thumb.jpg

Jack, I do see the close resemblance of your tooth, but still don't see the twisted tapering contour of the crown on a cow tooth that your tooth appears to have.

This can't be the first time I've been wrong on an ID... :blush:

Also, the likelihood heavily weighs toward being the more common contortus... (I found 10 on Saturday in the sites just north of Zolfo).

I understand the logic. This tooth is beat_up, the blade twists like Contortus which is positively common in the Peace River compared to Cow Shark. IF this turn out to be cow shark upper, it is my 2nd in more than 5 years. So I am tentative on a firm identification.

I think I am going with bierk. I placed his tooth and mine sidebyside and then enlarged the area around the small blades/cusps which are broken on mine. It seems that the broken stumps (especially the middle one) are the right size and not a feature on Contortus. I think that what I really need to do is find a few whole ones as pretty and pristine as the ones bierk found.

post-2220-0-49020300-1427152918_thumb.jpg post-2220-0-09015200-1427152967_thumb.jpg

Thanks bierk for the photos. I can only hope to find such beauties in my hunting grounds.

In my mind, the root is the tie-breaker: very 'cow-like'.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I understand the logic. This tooth is beat_up, the blade twists like Contortus which is positively common in the Peace River compared to Cow Shark. IF this turn out to be cow shark upper, it is my 2nd in more than 5 years. So I am tentative on a firm identification.

I think I am going with bierk. I placed his tooth and mine sidebyside and then enlarged the area around the small blades/cusps which are broken on mine. It seems that the broken stumps (especially the middle one) are the right size and not a feature on Contortus. I think that what I really need to do is find a few whole ones as pretty and pristine as the ones bierk found.

attachicon.gifSidebySide.jpg attachicon.gifBlowup_Cusps.jpg

Thanks bierk for the photos. I can only hope to find such beauties in my hunting grounds.

SS,

Try to not let the apparent twisting of the blade make you think it is a P. contortus tooth. I've got a few upper cow shark teeth that show a degree of twist in the main cone. I don't know how well it will photograph but I'll try to get a photograph of them tomorrow to show it.

I love to find cow shark teeth. I know they aren't the most common tooth any place they are found and when I do find one it makes my day no matter what else I found that hunt.