'thing' Inside A Piece Of Flint.

expat

Very interesting forum. Any help would be appreciated here, clearly I know nothing about fossils.

I found this in UK, its a piece of flint, around 7cms at longest point, the 'thing' is in a hollow void which is strangely symmetrical.

I've always wondered. Thanks in advance any ideas?

Simonpost-17891-0-79204700-1427010274_thumb.jpgpost-17891-0-41149800-1427010323_thumb.jpg

I agree with mould fossil of crinoid stem. The symmetrical shape is actually a cast of the lumen in it's center.

Edit: Just figured out that Ludwigia may be holding out for contextual evidence of an alternate stalked echinoderm. There were a few.

Edited by Rockwood

Thank you so much for your help guys. In my naivety I always thought it to be a piece of spine from some creature, far more exciting than a plant stem I feel!

Clearly my collecting interests lay elsewhere.

Ludwigia, it was found around 50ks above London in Buckinghamshire. As a builder I would often sift through the huge piles of stone that were delivered to be poured below drains in house construction. This was from one of those.

If the flint was quarried in the area, then it's probably either from glacial or cretaceous deposits which would then speak for a crinoid stem mold as the others have suggested. That was also my first thought.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

... I always thought it to be a piece of spine from some creature, far more exciting than a plant stem...

Plant stem? Nae! 'Tis a section of 'stalk' from a starfish relative. A truly ancient lineage, persisting in our oceans today!

Pretty exciting, I say! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yup thats what I thought since I find them ALOT in kansas looks like crinoid to me too but I could be wrong

I agree with the others, crinoid stem. A lot of aggregate comes from quarries in Oxfordshire. This piece of chert is highly likely to have originally formed in the Cretaceous chalk (therefore technically flint, but I like to call these chert as it has been redeposited and become part of the geology of fresher sediments).

Edited by Kosmoceras

Thinking a crinoid was a plant is not to far off. Crinoids were animals that lived like plants attached to the bottom of the ocean and use their arms to filter food out of the water although some floated freely. They are even called Sea Lilies. They are still alive today in the Pacific Ocean and are related to as previously noted starfish and sand dollars.

Thank you so very much all of you for your expertise in identifying my 'thing'. Plant or animal, I love it even more now that I know a little bit about it. :)

...I love it even more now that I know a little bit about it. :)

Funny how that works... ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!