Cetacean?

RickNC

Hi all,

I pulled this specimen from a creek in Eastern NC this weekend. We find fossils ranging from Cretaceous-Pleistocene at this site. I believe it to be a Cetacean tooth but it is unlike any I have seen from this location. We also find land mammal teeth here but I am pretty certain it is a marine mammal. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

IMG_1159_zpsyyvuqnwt.jpg

IMG_1168_zpsrzuinfey.jpg

IMG_1169_zpsco4qua8k.jpg

It is a whale tooth, I think, but I know not which. If so, it is not Mesozoic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice find. It looks a lot like a Pseudorca tooth that is illustrated in "Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine, vol. 4.". That tooth is a little under 3 inches long.

• I found this Informative 1

may be pilot whale. Not 100% on that; more likely sperm whale due to its size & circular striations. not a 100% on that either. either way, nice tooth/find!

Edited by willy

may be pilot whale. Not 100% on that; more likely sperm whale due to its size & circular striations. not a 100% on that either. either way, nice tooth/find!

I thought it did share similarities with pictures of pilot whale teeth I found online.

I have never seen a 3" pilot tooth, nor have I ever seen one with those sperm whale tell - sign rings. However, the enamel looks like that of a pilot whale tooth.

I think its a sperm whale tooth as well ,,,,the rings give it away ,,plus it looks like some of the sperm whale teeth I have in my collection....Great find.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I think its a sperm whale tooth as well ,,,,the rings give it away ,,plus it looks like some of the sperm whale teeth I have in my collection....Great find.

Thanks. Other than the rings it doesn't look anything like the sperm whale teeth we typically find at this location.

That's a big honkin tooth - Pseudorca is probably a reasonable guess, but there's always a fair amount of guesswork with odontocete teeth. Teeth like this are also characteristic of Orcinus, for example (and similar teeth could be expected in Globicephala or even Delphinapterus/Bohaskaia - though perhaps this is too large). It's unlikely to be from a giant kentriodontid (e.g. Hadrodelphis, Macrokentriodon) owing to the straight root (kentriodontids are longirostrine, and generally have roots that are curved to fit in the mandible/maxilla). Does the tooth have an oval cross-section? Physeteroids generally don't have curved crowns - though sperm whale is a reasonable guess because of the large size. Physeteroids also have teeth that generally have a circular cross section. If, however, the tooth is oval or near flattened with a quasi-rectangular cross-section, then it is undoubtedly a delphinid. I wouldn't recommend identifying the tooth past Globicephalinae indet., however.

That's a big honkin tooth - Pseudorca is probably a reasonable guess, but there's always a fair amount of guesswork with odontocete teeth. Teeth like this are also characteristic of Orcinus, for example (and similar teeth could be expected in Globicephala or even Delphinapterus/Bohaskaia - though perhaps this is too large). It's unlikely to be from a giant kentriodontid (e.g. Hadrodelphis, Macrokentriodon) owing to the straight root (kentriodontids are longirostrine, and generally have roots that are curved to fit in the mandible/maxilla). Does the tooth have an oval cross-section? Physeteroids generally don't have curved crowns - though sperm whale is a reasonable guess because of the large size. Physeteroids also have teeth that generally have a circular cross section. If, however, the tooth is oval or near flattened with a quasi-rectangular cross-section, then it is undoubtedly a delphinid. I wouldn't recommend identifying the tooth past Globicephalinae indet., however.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I was hoping you would see the thread. This tooth does indeed have an oval cross-section. I would describe it as near flattened as well. One of the first things that struck me was how flat it was.

Really nice tooth Rick.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Nice Rick. The rings always catch my eye. I love finding whale. I found a couple of pieces two weeks back close together. They might have fit together in an alternate reality.

post-2220-0-59014900-1427745158_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-19802800-1427745291_thumb.jpg

Yours however is really unique. I also have never seen anything like it.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Rick, I have two associated teeth from Calvert Cliffs that Dave Bohaska ID'd as "Sperm whale" teeth some years ago. Mine are similar to yours except for the crown.

Daryl.

post-2077-0-40324000-1427749415_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Wow, that is a great tooth Rick! Congrats :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!