First Trip This Year

andreas

Last saturday I started my first trip this year. It was a good feeling to be in field again but there is still pretty much snow at higher regions.post-2660-0-71426100-1427055976_thumb.jpg

I was lucky and found a block filled with Triassic ammonoids.post-2660-0-50430700-1427055879_thumb.jpg The age of the fauna is Upper Triassic, Tuvalian and the small grown ammonoids split out well from limestone.post-2660-0-69429100-1427055957_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Andreas

That is an incredible mass of fossils, and very colorful :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice block of ammonoids, love the colours! I have a couple blocks of ammonoids from Vancouver Island, Canada! They are in a black host rock with white calcite filling in the fossils. Do you find much of this material?

Auspex, I like the colors too. They are most beautyful at fresh break.

Bone digger, If your blocks come from the Quatsino or Karmutsen limestone the ammonoids are of the same age. The ammonoid fauna is very similar too. Can you show a pic please. I am very interested.

The location is a old known one and I found only several blocks within 15 years.

I can not remember the age of these ammonoids right now. They were found by friends around Port Alberni. These have also been found further north on the Island around Telegraph Cove. I know there is Karmutsen formation around Telegraph Cove. Attached are photos of the rough rock and a small slab.

post-309-0-28953800-1427070205_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-41316800-1427070472_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-91645700-1427070530_thumb.jpg

It looks like you have ammonites and ammonoids in your rock. That would be the same as with the rock from Vancouver Island!

Thank you for the pics!

Definitly triassic ammonoids. Unfortunly I can not fix the exact time. I think it is upper Carnian/Tuvalian or earliest Norian. The sphaerical Ammonoids are most probably Arcestes sp. Maybe a bigger pic of the polished slab can help. Look for not roundish crossections of Ammonoids. Then I can maybe id the time.

Because it is Triassic I prefere Ammonoids.

In public speech "Ammonites" is often used for all kind of Ammonoids. In paläontologic speech Ammonites are only members of the order Ammonitida. This order start in Jurassic time.

The shown Triassic Ammonoids in the Block are allmost all members of the orders Ceratida and Phylloceratida.

Ceratida, Phylloceratida and Ammonitida and several others are all members of the subclass Ammonoidea.

Therefore the term "ammonoid" in sense of "member of the subclass Ammonoidea" is always correct. F.e. Triassic ammonoid(ea), Jurassic ammonoid(ea)....

The roots of all ammonites(Jurassic, Cretaceous ammonites) lay in the Triassic Phylloceratida stock.

kind regards

Andreas

Thank you for the detailed explanation Andreas, they had been explained a little different to me!

Archived