Water Ripples And If Not, What Is It From?

Sydneylh

So I came across this while hiking along a reservoir (Polk county, Iowa) a few days ago. I'm not sure if they are any type of fossil or imprint of something or possibly caused from some type of water movement cycle? Any help would be great! Oh, the rock is about the size of my hand...Thanks!

- Syd

post-17866-0-21528700-1427063135_thumb.jpg

post-17866-0-69502500-1427063178_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sydneylh

They are surely something...what is their size?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

They are surely something...what is their size?

here is an image of the rock with a standard size sharpie marker.

post-17866-0-71473100-1427066907_thumb.jpg

Here's a wild guess:

A weathered section through a straight-shelled cephalopod.

post-423-0-41542200-1427067773_thumb.jpg

The ridges could be the chamber septa, the solid red lines mark the edges of the tapering shell, and the dotted line is the siphuncle. Maybe. That's just what struck me while trying to make something of it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here's a wild guess:

A weathered section through a straight-shelled cephalopod.

attachicon.gif~.jpg

The ridges could be the chamber septa, the solid red lines mark the edges of the tapering shell, and the dotted line is the siphuncle. Maybe. That's just what struck me while trying to make something of it.

That's a pretty great guess! Now I'm even more curious to find out what it could be!

At first I was thinking maybe part of a trilobite thorax, but now I'm leaning towards a straight-shelled nautiloid (cephalopod). Either way, something new for the collection. Congrats!

I believe Auspex is right on; its a straight shelled cephalopod impression. A good find in any case!