Ozark Spring And Crinoids

BigGuy

Spring is here is the Ozarks. I had some business to take care of in Rogers, Arkansas. After lunch Billie and I drove a couple of miles to a weathered Karst limestone in the Boone formation. The site is easy access on the way to Beaver Lake. The Boone formation is:

Early Mississippian Period

Crinoids are the most common fossil found in the Boone formation, but brachiopods, bryozoa, mollusks, corals, shark material, trilobites, conodonts, and others fossils are known. The lower contact of the Boone Formation is considered disconformable in most places, but some researchers suggest a conformable lower contact with the Chattanooga Shale; the contact with the St. Joe Member is conformable. The thickness of the Boone Formation is 300 to 350 feet in most of northern Arkansas, but as much as 390 feet has been reported

post-17624-0-99011300-1427146938_thumb.jpg

post-17624-0-20042700-1427147002_thumb.jpg

post-17624-0-20409100-1427147040_thumb.jpg

post-17624-0-61284700-1427147057_thumb.jpg

post-17624-0-61496500-1427147081_thumb.jpg

post-17624-0-78996800-1427147267_thumb.jpg

post-17624-0-61424500-1427147286_thumb.jpg

Edited by BigGuy
  • I found this Informative 1

Dang, they look like rolls of coins! Is this how they weathered out, no additional prep?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That must have been quite a 'garden' in its day.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sure must have been. They are beautiful animals today but not as common as they once were. The crinoid garden must have truly been spectacular. At Falls of the Ohio State Park across the river from Louisville there is a recreation of an Silurian Sea. It is very beautiful.

Edited by BigGuy

Beautiful hash plates! I love the preserved disassembled look.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG