meguskus

Hello, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the world of paleontology, so please don't hesitate to comment on any potential anatomical mistakes or the like.

I'd love meeting other aspiring and professional paleoartists to exchange knowledge and ideas.

I could also do commissions, if anyone is interested.

post-17914-0-01547300-1427214950_thumb.jpg

post-17914-0-31524800-1427216050_thumb.jpg

Welcome!

Beautiful work! Top notch.

I also am "trying" to do paleo reconstructions.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Wonderful artwork! :wub:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum, and thank you for bringing your portfolio for us to enjoy!

From your examples, you can breath life into perspectives ranging from startling to evocative. :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I love the lighting on those paintings. They have a great sense of depth.

The perspective of the Para though, makes it look a little like the crest is bend sideways a bit. Otherwise it's really nice.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Very impressive work, what medium are you working in? Do you have a favorite for your illustrations?

Thanks everyone! I'm doing everything digitally and I don't really have many finished dinosaur illustrations, so my favorite one so far is probably the latest one I did, a T. Rex. Do you think I should make a feathered version?

post-17914-0-80509100-1428009613_thumb.jpg

...Do you think I should make a feathered version?

Yes, please, if only for the sake of accuracy! ;)

"Non-plumeaceous integuments" would be best; somewhat downy filoplumes, densely packed except for the face area. As there would be little prismatic structure, reds and yellows would be better colors than blues or greens.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something a bit extravagant to make a dromaeosaurid look scarier. I think it's much more frightening than Jurassic World's ridiculous raptor lizards.

post-17914-0-71249200-1428885822_thumb.png

Just a bit of constructive feedback regarding your rex and possibly raptor, dinosaurs- or theropods at least, could not hold their hands/ claws like that. They would be with the palms facing inwards as if holding a ball. That is, if you're going for accuracy. Love your art!

Great works!Thanks for sharing.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Quite creepy, yet delightful.

It's still strange to see dinos depicted as they really were, adorning feathers. My brain still needs rewiring in this case. Haha!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Just a bit of constructive feedback regarding your rex and possibly raptor, dinosaurs- or theropods at least, could not hold their hands/ claws like that. They would be with the palms facing inwards as if holding a ball. That is, if you're going for accuracy. Love your art!

I know, is it really not visible? I tried hard making it look like they're positioned inwards, but apparently I failed. Do you have suggestions on how to make it move obvious?

I think our mental-processor sees the hands drooping from the wrist and interprets that as palms-down, because at palms-in, our hands just can't droop that much (try it!). The illusion would be dispelled if the hands did not droop at the wrist.

Now, whether that would be more anatomically correct, I cannot say.

• 1 month later...

I know, is it really not visible? I tried hard making it look like they're positioned inwards, but apparently I failed. Do you have suggestions on how to make it move obvious?

Taking a closer look, I can see they are being held correctly. You are a much better artist than I am, so take my advice with a pinch of salt, but

Quite creepy, yet delightful.

It's still strange to see dinos depicted as they really were, adorning feathers. My brain still needs rewiring in this case. Haha!

I still will never believe it ,Dino with feathers.

Jeff

Archived