Pyritized Ammonites Or 6In + Trilobites

Darktooth

OK guys, I'm calling on all my fellow fossilhunters to help me make a tough decision. I have good Friday off and I'm am planning a hunt. The problem is I can't decide if I want to hunt pyritized ammonites in Alden N.Y. or the 6in+ dipleura dekayi trilobite's from sangerfield N.Y. I have been successful at both places in the past. What sounds most interesting to you. I will make my decision based on your responses. Thanks

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for your input. I do have to say the pyritized fossils found in Alden are beautiful.

I have been to Alden once and found a nice pyritized ammonoid and some non-pyrite trilobites. The the second time I passed through, the place I had gone to before was all posted no trespassing, so I drove on. I vote for Alden.

I think I would go for the 6" trilobites. Although I have never seen the pyritized ammonites! Are they big or come in clusters?

I would suggest to take an extra day off and do both :P

But if I had to choose I would go for the ammonites

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pyritized ammonites&trilobites I vote

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Bone digger most of the ammonites tend to be small with the best i found being the size of a half dollar. But once i found i segment from one that was almost 2 in by itself. I appreciate everyones input thanks.

Which site is more at risk of becoming unavailable/un-huntable/unproductive? Make hay while the sun shines!

Just sayin'...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Both sites are at risk of being shut down for different reasons including but not limited to liability issues, people leaving trash, being rude to property owners etc. I have been lucky to have successfully collected at both sites multiple times with many sought after specimens. But that was years ago. And by the way bone digger no clusters that i have seen or heard of.

Looks like the votes are in..... trilobites it is ! I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the trips finds. Thanks for helping me make up my mind!