Cleaning And Preserving

Scottnokes2015

Hi everyone, I have just come home from my very first fossil trip and got lots of goodies. I have a slab about 1 ft by 2ft and its full of Brachiopodd,economics and beyond from decorah formation. I used soapy water and soft tooth brush, what options do I have from here? I was advised to use a cotton wool dapper to put polyurethane varnish on the fossils only and leave the matrix it's natural colour. Pleas can Any one give me ideas what's normally done after washing, thanks

I would avoid polyU. It will turn yellow before you get old and you will be sad. But yes, let's see a photo... esp of the economics. I imagine that was an autocorrect for echinoids?

This is one of my collections I came back with,its not the best one,but I thought it best to practice on a not so good one. There are brachiopods, Bryzoans and crinoids as my paleontology society told me.

post-17700-0-61530400-1427474256_thumb.jpg

post-17700-0-41401800-1427474300_thumb.jpg

post-17700-0-88988500-1427474348_thumb.jpg

This plate looks like the fossils should be quite stable without being treated. If it is an appearance issue, then it would be advisable to use a product that is completely and easily reversible (which polyurethane is not).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The contrast is nice between the fossils and matrix. Personally i see no need of highlighting it with a clear coat of any kind (but that's just me).

Also like Auspex has stated, it looks durable enough to with stand another few million years. Preserving and stabilizing usually only applied to fossils that may crumble or rot (pyrite) over time.

Nice find! Congrats.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

So, think be best to leave it totally untreated ado it's original. I agree,I lasted these million years un preserved and so some more wont millions years won't hurt untreated. Defiantly last me out in any case by a long way, thanks for your Advice,I'm,open. to any advice as I'm a newbie to this.

Yes. Leave it as is. Any loose pieces have separated by washing it. As long as you don't expose it more to the elements (make it a part of your patio) it will maintain its condition indefinitely.