Baking A Mosasaur Tooth?

scienceteacher

I hope I don't offend anyone with this question, but I have a mosasaur tooth that I would like to make into a pendant for a necklace. I have been trying to figure out how to make a "bail" or clasp for it and am considering using an oven-bake polymer clay on the root end for this purpose. It seems that the tooth and clay would need to be baked at 275 F (130 C) for 15 minutes. Could this possibly damage/destroy the tooth?

Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Thank you for your help!

I baked one for a friend who had an expensive one from Russia that he dropped and shattered. I used some clay to reconstruct some missing spots and fill in some cracks. It came out fine. I've also baked many shark teeth, including fragile cow sharks and never had a problem.

Baking fossil teeth. This is a new one for me. I wouldn't do it, but good luck to anyone who does.

RB

I suspect the epoxy putty will prove a good deal tougher when cured, and with superior adhesion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you so much for the ideas and advice! I think I will go with the epoxy.

I am so glad to have found this forum. When school is over and I have more time :) , I am looking forward to asking more questions and learning much more about fossils.