Need Help With Id For Miocene Mako Teeth From Virginia/maryland

njfossilhunter

I have had these teeth for sometime now and I know that they are mako's but not certain on which ones they are. I have tried to look up these teeth online but some seems to have different names but look very similar in appearance. So I'm hoping that members here can help me in any way possible to distinguish them apart ,,,in addressing the tooth please go by row starting from the top and give a tooth a number in that row. Any Help would be great.

Thank you

If anyone would like to see a photo of a particular tooth or teeth either post it or send me a PM.

post-2085-0-90123900-1427509255_thumb.jpg

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Can you try to take a better picture it is very blurry. Also do any of these teeth have cusps. #1 in 2nd row in 3rd row judging from what i can see in pic doesnt look look like mako but otodus teeth.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Teeth 1,2&3 in first row are desori i believe. Also did all these teeth come from same location? Because otodus wouldnt be found in same era asmakos.

Ok so i tapped on your photo and a clearer pic popped up. Now that i can see yes they are all makos. Im not an expert but the ones i called desori im pretty sure about the rest not so much they are all beautiful teeth. As much as every one loves megs i have had much better success finding makos in great condition. I can leave a trip satisfied if i find a good one.

Thank you ...darctooth ....yes they are all mako's and I wish the tooth in row 2 / Tooth 1... was a otodus ,,they are far and few inbetween... these teeth come from different place in Virginia and Maryland.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

This would be a best guess:

1,2 and 3 are upper anterior teeth of Extinct narrow-toothed mako shark I. desori, after that I'm fairly sure you have Extinct broad toothed mako shark Isurus (Carcharodon) hastalis and you have teeth from different positions in the jaw. 4,5,6,12,17 are broad form lower anterior teeth, 9 and 10 are narrow form upper anterior, I think 7 is an upper lateral, and the rest I'm not as confident with. Really nice assortment of teeth and to have the coloration so similar is tight.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit of a late reply( over 2 months!) but i think the last 3 in the forst row and the last one in the other two rows are isurus praecursor bottoms and the first in the bottom row is a top tooth of the same species. If this is the case this fossil deposit has eocene teeth as well ( multiple exposures from multiple eras?) but they are almost definitely I. praecursor.

I know this is a bit of a late reply( over 2 months!) but i think the last 3 in the forst row and the last one in the other two rows are isurus praecursor bottoms and the first in the bottom row is a top tooth of the same species. If this is the case this fossil deposit has eocene teeth as well ( multiple exposures from multiple eras?) but they are almost definitely I. praecursor.