Can Anyone Help With Identifying This?

knoonan

I found this on the shore of the chesapeake in calvert county. I'm not certain if it is bone or just a rock . Thank you

post-17870-0-30411800-1427560127_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!Your find looks like a fish/shark vertebra,but it`s very weathered. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

A partial vertebra, yes, but I think it is mammalian, and likely from a cetacean. What is its size?

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have found fish and shark verts that were broke in half that have the same exact shape as what you have but mine are not worn down like that.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Its probably a half of a fossil fish vertebra or could be a worn shark vert as well. That is where they tend to break. I'm with abyssunder and darctooth.

It shows very mammal-like structure in the cancellous and cortical bone, quite unlike fish or shark.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have to agree with Auspex, the bone type is mammalian or reptile (large croc?) and the location would almost definitely indicate marine mammal. Broken shark and fish verts do have a similar shape with the two conical concavities pointing tip to tip, but the material does not look like fish bone or shark cartilage.

Auspex is right, probably a small cetacean vertebral centrum. A shark or ray centrum would have concentric internal struts, and a bony fish vertebral centrum would have thin bony struts. This animal had bone marrow.