Results From My Big Brook Trip Today

njfossilhunter

I spent the sunny Sunday in Big Brook today ....I didn't do any screening ,,,just surface scanning. I found a few shark teeth nothing really worth mentioning about,,,but I did find a interesting coprolite ,Well I thought it might be a coprolite because of it's oval shape,,,,maybe a croc because it was rather large,,3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. rather big for a shark from the cretaceous brooks of monmouth county. As the day went on after finding this it had time to dry out in my pocket so when I sat down I pulled it out with my loop and found what I think was two partial fish vet's and a few bit's of something,,,which I couldn't make out .....Well here are some pictures please let me know what you think;

On the 3rd picture you will see on the right side of the specimen that some of the surface is missing that is the area where I see what I think are the fish vert's

post-2085-0-31552600-1427679990_thumb.jpg

post-2085-0-89584700-1427680105_thumb.jpg

post-2085-0-19870400-1427680137_thumb.jpg

I will add the close up of the fish vert ? in the next post.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

IMHO this is a sandstone nodule. These occur within the Navesink Formation at a few levels. They will sometimes have stuff other than sand within them.

Here are the close ups of the two fish vert

post-2085-0-09012500-1427680614_thumb.jpg

post-2085-0-31626700-1427680677_thumb.jpg

And the second vert

post-2085-0-91245100-1427680794_thumb.jpg

post-2085-0-31643500-1427680812_thumb.jpg

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

IMHO this is a sandstone nodule. These occur within the Navesink Formation at a few levels. They will sometimes have stuff other than sand within them.

I think your right ,,,,it does seem to have a lot of sand around it. Do you think these maybe fish vert or some type of shell,,,,off hand I can't think of any type of shell that resembles what i'm calling fish verts

Tony

I think your right ,,,,it does seem to have a lot of sand around it. Do you think these maybe fish vert or some type of shell,,,,off hand I can't think of any typ shell that resembles what i'm calling fish verts

Hard to get any three-dimensionality out of your close-up photos. The sand nodules can contain fossils but you probably need to get this in the hands of someone local. You could take it to the state museum or even a meeting of either the NY Paleo Society or the Delaware club.

Here is a link to a good paper on the stratigraphy at BB and that part of NJ: http://www.geo.sunysb.edu/lig/Field_Trips/guide-10-03.pdf

Note that over the years there have been different versions of the stratigraphy described, mapped, proposed, revised and even thrown out. But you probably know that….

Edited by erose

Hard to get any three-dimensionality out of your close-up photos. The sand nodules can contain fossils but you probably need to get this in the hands of someone local. You could take it to the state museum or even a meeting of either the NY Paleo Society or the Delaware club.

Here is a link to a good paper on the stratigraphy at BB and that part of NJ: http://www.geo.sunysb.edu/lig/Field_Trips/guide-10-03.pdf

Note that over the years there have been different versions of the stratigraphy described, mapped, proposed, revised and even thrown out. But you probably know that….

Thank you ,,erose....the concave area of the vert's are very deep,,just like a fish vertebra. There are other inclusions in the noblue but I can't make them out. Thanks for the link..I'm sure it will be very useful....Do you know about anythink about cretaceous reptile ,,,I posted a bone fragment I found in Big Brook it has enough of diagnostic feature's for an ID,,So I believe

Tony

Interesting find.

Thanks buddy

Tony