Mystery Fossil (You Folks'll Get This One Fast!)

Carl

I must not be one of those people that will get it fast...LOL.....but it does look like one of those big broad leaf thingies that are attached to the bottom of the shallow seas

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Looks like an Archimedes

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It looks like it would make an interesting rubbing :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

To Archimedes, I'd like to add m. Mississippian Salem Lmst., near Burlington, Indiana - a major supplier of fossiliferous facing-stone in America.

post-2520-0-99671600-1427751747_thumb.jpgArchimedes it is. :popcorn:

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

really nice piece of wall.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Carl, has anyone ever done a guide to the geology and paleontology as revealed in the building stone in Manhattan? I've seen such a guide for other cities, but never NYC.

In addition to the things you'd normally think of, there is, of course, the famous Coelacanth of NYC.

IMG 0120

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Not really a guide. I would love that. But Sid Horenstein occasionally does fossil walks on 5th Ave. Saks Fifth Avenue has some incredible corals! I have been working on a guide to the fossils in the building stones of the AMNH off and on. Soooooo many fossils.

And one of the bronze bas reliefs in the AMNH subway station actually aided science. There's a bronze of our Coelophysis mount down there: the one long-supposed to represent cannibalism. When Sterling Nesbitt was a student here, and waiting for the train, he was feeling the gut-content bones and realized, BY ONLY FEELING THE LOW RES BRONZE, that the bone was not a dinosaur. He got permission to sample the exhibit and proved the gut contents were non-dinosaurian, thus removing the available cannibalism evidence.

• I found this Informative 1

I hadn't heard that before, Carl - great story!

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".