Please Help Me Id This Fosssil

Thaddeus410

This fossil was found in a creek bed in southern Missouri. I don't know much about fossils, but usually I can use the web to identify them. No such luck in this case.

post-17968-0-91649200-1427762477_thumb.jpg

I think you have an impression of a crinoid or cystoid calyx. The ornament corresponds to the raised ridges on the calyx of numerous such echinoderms. Unfortunately, I don't think enough is preserved to confidently identify the genus or species.

Don

That is an interesting piece,but I don`t recognize yet what can be. :zzzzscratchchin:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

echinoderm impression.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Cool find! When I found a crinoid fragment a bit like this, I thought at first it was just the imprint of my boot tread!

Found mine. Forum folks identified it for me as carabocrinus. post-11310-0-60889200-1427946950_thumb.jpg

Herb, so can you explain more about your echinoderm idea?

It looks to be a cystoid calyx imprint,as FossilDAWG said,so it is an echinoderm,as Herb said.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived