Myrtle Beach Trip

jax

So I just got back from SC, and I had a few days to hit the beach and find my favorite fossils, sharks teeth. They dredged in TONS of fossil loaded sanded in the past 6 months because of the last Hurrican. SO, heres my finds. I found about 1000 teeth or so, a bunch of cool pieces of turtle shell, ray mouth plates, fish mouth plates, stingray barbs, and my favorite finds of the trip, and odd to find here were the Echinoids. I spoke with a guy who lives there 6 months out of the year, and he showed me a few megs he found just after the new sand was put on the beach, also he had a whale vert, and tons of other fossils. I hit the beach one morning just as the sun was coming up to see this guy about 20 feet in front of me, so I start to scan the shell piles that the tide left, and he sees me and almost runs to show me a HUGE 2.5 inch Great White that he had just picked up..... -_- if I was 10 mins sooner...... It was the biggest GW I have ever seen!!! OH, Also found a WWII era 50 cal bullet, one end all corroded with sand and junk, I thought it was a cool find.

pic1 - The better teeth

2 - My best teeth, GW was 1 3/8 inches

3 - ray plates, fish plates, stingray barbs

4 - Turtle shell

5 - 2 pieces of turtle shell, with the vert line

6 - the broken, and small teeth (OH look at my meg piece, thats the most I have ever found of a meg B) )

7 - Echs

8 - bullet

9 - Need ID for this one. It looks to be bone or something, but has a white center. I would die if it were Ivory, but I bet its not

10 - another angle

11 - before pics of pic 7

Thanks for looking, and if anyone is in this area after a big storm, I would hit this beach. I found it the best just south of the 2nd ave pier.

Justin

post-221-1236652784_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236652810_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236652842_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236652866_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236652891_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236653040_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236653057_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236653074_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236653087_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236653110_thumb.jpg

post-221-1236653131_thumb.jpg

nice sounds like a good trip. I cant wait for the day i find a megalodon tooth or a nice mako or great white any large tooth will do lol

nice sounds like a good trip. I cant wait for the day i find a megalodon tooth or a nice mako or great white any large tooth will do lol

Man your in the right state for it. Just do some research, and/or join a fossil club there, and I know you will be finding big teeth. The biggest whole tooth I have ever found is only 1 1/2 inches... I cant seem to break that mark

...The biggest whole tooth I have ever found is only 1 1/2 inches... I cant seem to break that mark

'Course, he's talking 'bout a Ptychodus tooth here...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's why I always love to go to Myrtle Beach. I've also found a few nice GW teeth there. I'm surprised you didn't find any Sqalicorax...could be the material that they dumped didn't have any Cretaceous stuff though. Nice report!

Kevin Wilson

My interest in fossil shark teeth started in the late 70's at Myrtle Beach. However, in all the years we were there, I NEVER found anything like what you found in a short time period. Over a period of two weeks I might find 100 teeth, most of which were worn smooth in the surf to the point where they were nothing but junk. On occasion a nice tooth or two was found but your collection is quite impressive. Actually we were not in Myrtle Beach but maybe 10 miles or so south in Garden City.

Congrats on your nice finds. :)

PS.Love that dredge sand. Two years ago we were in Hilton Head and a dredge project was just getting underway. All the pipes, pumps,etc. were in place and the project was to start the day after we left. I've always wondered if any good fossil material was found.

My interest in fossil shark teeth started in the late 70's at Myrtle Beach. However, in all the years we were there, I NEVER found anything like what you found in a short time period. Over a period of two weeks I might find 100 teeth, most of which were worn smooth in the surf to the point where they were nothing but junk. On occasion a nice tooth or two was found but your collection is quite impressive. Actually we were not in Myrtle Beach but maybe 10 miles or so south in Garden City.

Congrats on your nice finds. :)

PS.Love that dredge sand. Two years ago we were in Hilton Head and a dredge project was just getting underway. All the pipes, pumps,etc. were in place and the project was to start the day after we left. I've always wondered if any good fossil material was found.

Garden City isnt known for its teeth. Every time we go to Myrtle, I end up with 500 or so teeth. You have to work the tide. On the way out, work the shell piles as the waves hit them, and they just pop out at you. Same with high tide, the waves do all the work, you just pick up the teeth. You probably are gonna get wet, but who cares if your finding teeth!! ;)

Garden City isnt known for its teeth. Every time we go to Myrtle, I end up with 500 or so teeth. You have to work the tide. On the way out, work the shell piles as the waves hit them, and they just pop out at you. Same with high tide, the waves do all the work, you just pick up the teeth. You probably are gonna get wet, but who cares if your finding teeth!! ;)

I always make it a point to go out about an hour before low tide. I start right at the water and walk as far as I can (never looking up of course lol), then I turn back and work the shell piles. I don't usually find much during high tide though.

Hi,

Nice finds.... We are a Myrtle a few weeks ago, and my kids and I picked up a few hundred in just a few hours. The beach is full of new sand as they refilled the beach from the South to the North. The Northern end refill was completed 2-3 months ago, so there are still some nice teeth in that area. Congrats on a great trip.

Be well Brian

PS I hunted in Summerville earlier this week and found some really nice teeth that I will be posting soon...

• 4 weeks later...
So I just got back from SC, and I had a few days to hit the beach and find my favorite fossils, sharks teeth. They dredged in TONS of fossil loaded sanded in the past 6 months because of the last Hurrican. SO, heres my finds. I found about 1000 teeth or so, a bunch of cool pieces of turtle shell, ray mouth plates, fish mouth plates, stingray barbs, and my favorite finds of the trip, and odd to find here were the Echinoids. I spoke with a guy who lives there 6 months out of the year, and he showed me a few megs he found just after the new sand was put on the beach, also he had a whale vert, and tons of other fossils. I hit the beach one morning just as the sun was coming up to see this guy about 20 feet in front of me, so I start to scan the shell piles that the tide left, and he sees me and almost runs to show me a HUGE 2.5 inch Great White that he had just picked up..... -_- if I was 10 mins sooner...... It was the biggest GW I have ever seen!!! OH, Also found a WWII era 50 cal bullet, one end all corroded with sand and junk, I thought it was a cool find.

pic1 - The better teeth

2 - My best teeth, GW was 1 3/8 inches

3 - ray plates, fish plates, stingray barbs

4 - Turtle shell

5 - 2 pieces of turtle shell, with the vert line

6 - the broken, and small teeth (OH look at my meg piece, thats the most I have ever found of a meg B) )

7 - Echs

8 - bullet

9 - Need ID for this one. It looks to be bone or something, but has a white center. I would die if it were Ivory, but I bet its not

10 - another angle

11 - before pics of pic 7

Thanks for looking, and if anyone is in this area after a big storm, I would hit this beach. I found it the best just south of the 2nd ave pier.

Justin

Nice finds. I was wondering if you could find teeth off of Myrtle Beach. Might help in future Vacation Planning... LOL

DO, or do not. There is no try.

• 4 months later...

I have a place in North Myrtle Beach (approximately even with Barefoot Landing but oceanfront), and have never found any teeth there. I was there during the beach renourishment project and found a ton of fossil shells (mostly whelks and olives), but no teeth! My sis lives near Garden CIty and finds lots of teeth there, even before the renourishment.

I guess it's a case of right time., right place - you did great Jax - congrats to you!

I have a place in North Myrtle Beach (approximately even with Barefoot Landing but oceanfront), and have never found any teeth there. I was there during the beach renourishment project and found a ton of fossil shells (mostly whelks and olives), but no teeth! My sis lives near Garden CIty and finds lots of teeth there, even before the renourishment.

I guess it's a case of right time., right place - you did great Jax - congrats to you!

BJ, we have never found any teeth in N Myrtle beach either. I talked to a snow bird and he said he has found them up there before. I know others who live there that have gotten Mammoth teeth and bone off that beach too!!!

I wish i were that lucky. Its all about playing the tide to have them wash them out.

Jax, I just come to discover this topic. Your pictures are a little bored (dark), but I think your recent sea urchins are Arbacia punctulata.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg