Faked Gerastos Trilobite

Hello,

I was looking over at this thread: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/53168-is-this-gerastos-trilobite-legit/ about trilobite legitimacy, where there are a few comments about trilobites being too common to fake.

I was surprised when I popped a Gerastos of mine off for the same reason! It does fail the hot needle test, and it was glued to the matrix then "prepared". It fooled me when I first got it:

post-15797-0-91165400-1428040417_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-80752200-1428040425_thumb.jpg

Reese

Can you post some close up pics?

Here are a few better pictures--there isn't much detail to the trilobite itself, but that isn't uncommon for poorly prepared pieces.

post-15797-0-21128600-1428089920_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-41365500-1428089924_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-59431100-1428089929_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-20934900-1428089963_thumb.jpg

In the last picture, you can see a preparation "crack".

Reese

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks!

It's got to be a lot easier to mold one of those out of putty than carve it out of rock. We need to be careful.

Well, I'm not convinced it is fake. Looks the they tried to reattach it to the matrix for cosmetic reasons...

• I Agree 1

Well, I'm not convinced it is fake. Looks the they tried to reattach it to the matrix for cosmetic reasons...

I assume you didn't see THIS....

It does fail the hot needle test, and it was glued to the matrix then "prepared".

attachicon.gifft-2.jpgattachicon.gifft-3.jpg

Reese

... which indicates that it is indeed a fake.

If it fails the hot needle test, it is made of resin,... and therefore a fake.

The "crack" also runs alongside the trilobite, rather than through it, which is also an indicator of it being a fake.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It does fail the hot needle test

Ah, the actual meaning of that statement depends on how the test was defined, no? Did the hot needle probe for the presence, or rather for the absence of resin?

Maybe ReeseF can lift the ambiguity of the statement by simply stating whether resin was found or not?

I find this trilobite an interesting case for a number of reasons. Not in the least because I can think of a couple of reasons to attach a chunk of matrix to an authentic trilobite. Also, a number of features visible in the pictures (well... hardly) are interesting. For example, the left librigena seems to be missing. It would not make much sense to fake that. Also, the lithology of the matrix is interesting. Which brings me to the observation that the second batch of pics is not much of an improvement over the first. It would really be helpful if you could provide a set of good pictures.

Edited by Fred

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

Still not convinced its fake definitely poorly prepped and then glued to the matrix. Cant see an economic reason why someone would make a fake of a common and not pristine specimen.

• I Agree 1

Still not convinced its fake definitely poorly prepped and then glued to the matrix. Cant see an economic reason why someone would make a fake of a common and not pristine specimen.

I totally agree. That's a lot of effort to make $5 (.....if that).

Check out the link in my "signature". It's a great 101 on how to spot fake trilos from Morocco.

• I Agree 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Ah, the actual meaning of that statement depends on how the test was defined, no? Did the hot needle probe for the presence, or rather for the absence of resin?

Maybe ReeseF can lift the ambiguity of the statement by simply stating whether resin was found or not?

Hello Fred,

The needle pierced through the trilobite; it's certainly strange, but it is resin.

I will try and upload a few crisper pictures when I get the chance :).

Reese

Hi Reese,

Now that's clear then! ^_^

Hot needles should not be piercing authentic trilobites.

Since we know this is a definite fake then, more detailed pictures will be very informative. I'm looking forward to seeing them! Make sure to include a pic of the trilo's left side.

Paleo database, information and community

LogoS.png

• 2 weeks later...

Have to admit I'm quite surprised. I would assume a poor prep AND resin combo would be littered with tiny popped air bubbles on its surface? Thats where I immediately look first.

Just surprised somebody would fake a commercial grade, pocket money level specimen?

That was ultimately my reasoning, why bother faking a common and not pristine trilobite? But if the needle

did fit, you cannot acquit.