old bones

Here is another tooth from Sacha's Gainesville matrix. It's only the crown, but I'm hoping someone will recognize it's previous owner. I'm guessing a carnivore...

Thanks for looking.

Julianna

post-13648-0-50430600-1428277094_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

It looks like its from a coryphodon. I've glued quite a few coryphodon teeth back together and part of their large molers look just like that. Coryphodons weren't carnivors they just have some crazy looking teeth. I'm thinking I heard some where the word coryphodon means jagged tooth or something like that.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be Coryphodon if it came from Florida.But I agree that it is a mammal tooth fragment.

No Coryphodon in FL. No terrestrial Eocene. Can we assume the scale bar is in mm? So this thing is rather small.

It looks like its from a coryphodon. I've glued quite a few coryphodon teeth back together and part of their large molers look just like that. Coryphodons weren't carnivors they just have some crazy looking teeth. I'm thinking I heard some where the word coryphodon means jagged tooth or something like that.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and reply. I was remiss in not defining the age of this find. Sorry about that.

Pretty sure it wouldn't be Coryphodon if it came from Florida.But I agree that it is a mammal tooth fragment.

No Coryphodon in FL. No terrestrial Eocene. Can we assume the scale bar is in mm? So this thing is rather small.

Carl and jpc, It is small. The scale is mm. I was thinking along the lines of raccoon or other small mammal. I was just hoping that it was familiar to someone right off.

I was wondering if it might be the first premolar of an opossum. They do have a lot of teeth.

Edited by finderskeepers

I was wondering if it might be the first premolar of an opossum. They do have a lot of teeth.

They sure do, finderskeepers, and that is a good place for me to start looking for reference. Thanks.