Interesting Finds

Shellseeker

Out with two friends: we had a great time in the sunshine and river. We were finding Megs -- 7 for me, with 3 pretty good. But the only Meg I'll show here is a broken root..post-2220-0-49949100-1428369823_thumb.jpg

This is a complete root, with the only blade section being that containing the serration on the left photo. IF the ID is Meg, does anyone have a complete Meg where the root is this fat but only 30 mm wide? The root is so unusual, I would really like to know what a whole tooth with this kind of root looks like.

Next I find a lot of gator teeth. Is this gator or croc?

post-2220-0-49751600-1428370021_thumb.jpg

Finally, I think now that I initially mis-identified this one as horse. Requesting an ID. Whenever I find a tooth like this when I am not sure, I immediately think, while standing in the river, This one goes on TFF.post-2220-0-40843600-1428370205_thumb.jpg

Also found a piece of broken glass that must of been hand blown and looks really old. I love the surprises. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Well, I had no responses to this thread, which seems strange, Questions about Megs, how to differentiate gator from croc teeth and an unusual mammal tooth.

I believe that I have IDed the mammal tooth as dugong and found an old thread that helps to validate that ID. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/26375-mammal-molar/and http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/29743-gomphothere-germ-tooth/

Let's see some opinions/guesses/whatever. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The longitudinal ridges on your tooth makes me think it is from Thecachampsa. Thecachampsa occur in the Oligocene and Miocene. There is a recent article in volume 8 of the Mosasaur on how to differentiate Thecachampsa teeth from alligator teeth. Beside the longitudinal ridges in Thecachampsa, the indentation on the base of the tooth is deeper and more conical in Thecachampsa. There is also a nutrient pore in the bottom of the tooth that is wider in alligator teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

To me your second tooth looks like a croc Jack : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

You guys and rivers in Florida, nothing like that here. :envy:

Yep indeed, nice finds.

Jeff

Jeff, the rivers and mines of Florida are truly magical. A hunter can find Sloth Claws from 10000 years ago, next to paleo artifacts from 5000 years ago next to small horse and rhino from 3-4 mya and all of it can be in almost pristine shape due to clay and phosphate deposits that protect them. I know that I am blessed.

Al Dente and JCB, thanks for the IDs. It gave me a thread to follow. Here is an excellent write-up at University of Florida http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/thecachampsa-americana/. SixgillPete and Foshunter also have examples in the Gallery. I have never found one of these myself and only have seen one other. I will likely send to Richard Hulbert to confirm. In prep for that , a couple of more photos.

post-2220-0-40926400-1428586343_thumb.jpg post-2220-0-79392500-1428586421_thumb.jpg

Jeff, the rivers and mines of Florida are truly magical. A hunter can find Sloth Claws from 10000 years ago, next to paleo artifacts from 5000 years ago next to small horse and rhino from 3-4 mya and all of it can be in almost pristine shape due to clay and phosphate deposits that protect them. I know that I am blessed.

Al Dente and JCB, thanks for the IDs. It gave me a thread to follow. Here is an excellent write-up at University of Florida http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/thecachampsa-americana/. SixgillPete and Foshunter also have examples in the Gallery. I have never found one of these myself and only have seen one other. I will likely send to Richard Hulbert to confirm. In prep for that , a couple of more photos.

attachicon.gifRSCN0446cm.jpg attachicon.gifRSCN0447.jpg

Great article-- Fantastic find!!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Your mammal tooth isn't Sirenian. It is definitely from a Perissodactyl. At first glance it would seem like a horse but I'm thinking its a worn lower rhino premolar.

Edited by calhounensis

Your mammal tooth isn't Sirenian. It is definitely from a Perissodactyl. At first glance it would seem like a horse but I'm thinking its a worn lower rhino premolar.

I am afraid that I have taken you down a path with the blowup photo and not providing measurements (25 mm height, 19 mm long, 11 mm wide). It is really a very small tooth. I would be ecstatic to have rhino anything. :yay-smiley-1: SO I am going to start looking for lower Rhino premolar..

That is a small tooth. I'm thinking Pseudhipparion, What does the bottom of the tooth look like . . . an open or a closed pulp cavity?

The croc tooth is certainly not 'gator . . . Gavialosuchus (I think Thecachampsa is a synonym).

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Some additional photos may help,

post-2220-0-70745700-1428613333_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-61052500-1428613353_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-09722400-1428613372_thumb.jpg

Hulbert agrees that the tooth is Croc, the groves may be specific fossil adaptation and he is not sure it is Thecachampsa

Just read up on Pseudhipparion. Very interesting animal, only known horse to begin to evolve hypselodont teeth. Hulbert's book discusses them and has line drawings on pages 288-290.

Jack,

I am going to disappoint you and say that it is just a worn Equus lower molar from the Pleistocene. I guess there is a slight chance it is a late Miocene Dinohippus. But once wear is taken into account, Equus is much more likely, especially in the Peace River.

Richard

I have been running so hot lately, so I am not that disappointed. But I did think N. Aztecus was really possible. It sets my measurement for small lower Equus though. Chewing surface is 11x19 mm.