White Hadrosaur Egg?¿

Pterosaur

Hey guys,

Here's another weird hadrosaur egg from the same chain of dealers on eBay who's authenticity I questioned previously.. Never seen a white one before!

What do you think?

post-15415-0-31524000-1428609673_thumb.jpg

post-15415-0-81106300-1428609844_thumb.jpg

Kind regards,

Lauren

"I am a part of all that I have met." - Lord Alfred Tennyson

So why do you bother then? :)

Not meant to sound off key, but if you know the guy sells fakes look somewhere else. ;)

I hear the Chinese have some but big bucks, if you can find one that was imported before the Ban. :D

Jeff

...What do you think?

I have never seen a fossil dinosaur egg that looks like this...among other things, where is the shell texture?

My skeptic meter is about pegged (but then, it has a hair trigger).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm in the "market" for a dino egg, and personally, I'm staying away from any egg sold on Ebay or any egg without the unmistakable texture of dino egg shell. Yeah, I'll pay more, but it will be real.

Good luck in your search, Lauren.

And check out my signature link, it may help you.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I can tell you with extreme confidence that it is a fake. Unless the person decided to polish it and dye it white. Unfortunately, the price of eggs are higher due to the ban so those who have them are holding onto them and those who sell them are trying to take advantage of ignorance.

So why do you bother then? :)

Not meant to sound off key, but if you know the guy sells fakes look somewhere else. ;)

I hear the Chinese have some but big bucks, if you can find one that was imported before the Ban. :D

Jeff, I wasn't asking because I'm interested in buying it. This section of the forum is for identifying whether fossils are authentic or fakes. I'm calling out an Ebay item I think is obviously not an authentic hadrosaur egg because I want to help other people who may not know the difference.

Within the last few months, three or four sellers (who are probably the same person) from Malaysia have popped up posting dozens of auctions for things like this. I noticed that on one of the seller's profiles someone had actually purchased one of these white eggs. They even left a positive review despite the fact that the egg they purchased was pretty obviously not from a hadrosaur. :(

I know it's not my job to call out all the fakes on Ebay, but it's frustrating to see.

dagoodstuff.com

I bought a pre-ban one from them recently.

Their list prices are high so you will have to haggle them down to a good price.

After dickering, I got a good deal.

Jeff, I wasn't asking because I'm interested in buying it. This section of the forum is for identifying whether fossils are authentic or fakes. I'm calling out an Ebay item I think is obviously not an authentic hadrosaur egg because I want to help other people who may not know the difference.

Within the last few months, three or four sellers (who are probably the same person) from Malaysia have popped up posting dozens of auctions for things like this. I noticed that on one of the seller's profiles someone had actually purchased one of these white eggs. They even left a positive review despite the fact that the egg they purchased was pretty obviously not from a hadrosaur. :(

I know it's not my job to call out all the fakes on Ebay, but it's frustrating to see.

Got you covered Lauren. ;)

Bummer , but if you try and get all the fakes published , then you won't have no time for anything else. :(

Your call I guess, so many fakes out there.

Half from Morocco it seems.

Good luck and again no off key stuff. :)

Let buyer beware.

I can point you too a real one ,that I have seen, but big $$$$$ involved.

Jeff

Call-Outs like this are what build an archived comparison sample. The "Is It Real" forum was established exactly for this, and the ensuing informed commentary can inspire critical thinking by novice collectors. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Call-Outs like this are what build an archived comparison sample. The "Is It Real" forum was established exactly for this, and the ensuing informed commentary can inspire critical thinking by novice collectors. :)

All true.

Jeff

Not trying to get all the fakes published, Jeff. Just offering a couple examples of the types of fakes out there. ;)

I've seen these popping up recently too, infact I've just added a picture of one that a Chinese ebayer has been using as bait, to try and get my business to spend $1900 on a batch lol. I highly suspect its the same seller. (I'd put his id but I'm unsure on the rules around here, I'm new haha)

I asked for a close up picture after laughing at this one and he sent me a very blurry one to hide the complete lack of texture. It blows my mind that other dealers would risk their business' reputation and sell them. There hasn't even been any effort made to make it look like a good fake, yet ebay sales show this guy is making 300 pound for these...

I personally will not be stocking them on my site or ebay sales, I have enough fun inspecting Moroccan trilobites under microscopes before selling them. Hopefully people see this thread and stop buying them.

post-18219-0-91342300-1429921855_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This Hadrosaur egg in white shell is fake 100%.

There are oiginal grey-light eggs of the Oviraptor like, that usually are in black shells, but the Hadrosaur white there aren't.......

->>>>> :)<

• 3 months later...

Talking about white Hadro's let me show you a white hadrosaur and its real. I only have pictures of a few bones but it white and saw it in person. I think it came out of South Dakota. Not sun faded, very cool preservation. The dentition is fabulous unfortunately I don't have a picture of it. It's been for sale for several years. Seller wants an extraordinary amount of money for it.

post-10935-0-72722800-1439998098_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-68623800-1439998176_thumb.jpg

Talking about white Hadro's let me show you a white hadrosaur and its real. I only have pictures of a few bones but it white and saw it in person. I think it came out of South Dakota. Not sun faded, very cool preservation. The dentition is fabulous unfortunately I don't have a picture of it. It's been for sale for several years. Seller wants an extraordinary amount of money for it.

Wow, thanks for showing me. I've always wondered if there were such a thing as white dino bones that were not sun-baked. How can you distinction between genuinely white ones and the sun faded bones? (not that I don't believe you :) )

They have a good part of the entire dinosaur. It was a typical underground find which required equipment to move the overburden. The preservation is also in every nook and cranny. A typical surface find the bone would be bleached on only one side.

Edit: first one I've ever seen

How could they be white like that? Does that mean that almost all of the original bone is still there?

No. My guess it was a normal fossilization process except the minerals in the soil fossilized the bone white. Quite unique at least for dinosaur bones.

Chinese eggs tend to be black, brown or red.

This here is probably the "whitest" egg you'd find from there, and its still a grey.

post-4888-0-58264000-1440028654_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Fossils, including eggs can be quite variable in colour. Eggs tend to preserve best when there is a lot of calcium/ sodium in the ground...thus near where there deposits of shells, inland salt water estuaries. Dino eggshell here in Alberta is always associated with mollusc deposits of some sort.

So...initially just about all fossil Dino eggs were whitish in colour...from the calcium and sodium. The change of colour comes later but isn't a necessity. Depends on the depth of burial, heat energy, etc. also, most important are traces of iron and magnesium, etc. in the solutions running through. Even a touch of iron will give a reddish colour.

Some Dino bone is quite white or pale. This can be either from the absence of iron, etc. (rare) or from staining from long long term embedding in light clays.

Re, is an egg real or a fake. I don't know. The only eggs I assume to be real are those excavated at a site like Devil's Coulee here in Alberta or the Maiasaur deposits in Montana. Otherwise, not much to go on. Someone may compare an egg to another one 'presumed' to be real but often the so-called real egg is also a fake. Also, so many are just not eggs (no faking, just misidentification). Tyrrell museum studied about 18 supposedly real eggs and just a couple were actually eggs....the rest were 'something' else.

Anyways. I would never buy an egg. I would only have one in my collection if I personally found it. I have come across lots is shell that 'may' be Dino shell. Could have easily stuck it on a chunk of Cretaceous matrix, took a few photos of it 'in situ' ( like the Chinese do) and called it an egg and fooled anyone.

• 2 months later...

Eggs are certainly variable in color across a wide geographic area but the eggs in question are Chinese in origin. If you muse about museum and other fossil websites you will be hard pressed to find a "white" egg of a hadrosaur dinosaur. It seems logical to me that, given the obvious rarity of such mineralization, it is highly suspect that those questionable eggs happen to largely be white rather than the typical pinkish-brown common to eggs of the Xi'an basin. There are white bones and eggs from Mongolia, however, buying eggs of Chinese origin is technically illegal and any material from Mongolia on the market is explicitly illegal and a buyer should consider the ethics of such a purchase.

Archived