Grouping Of Orthoceras And Large Ammonite?

crh26

Hello everyone, I am attempting to identify and generally date two fossils, one which I believe is a medium sized ammonite based on the fern-like outer shell patterning, and the other a large grouping of orthoceras. The 'ammonite' measures 12" x 10" x 6", and the grouping of 'orthoceras' measures 15" x 5" x 3-1/2". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Christy H.

post-18073-0-61324900-1428643245_thumb.png

post-18073-0-60439400-1428643414_thumb.png

post-18073-0-41669400-1428643257_thumb.png

Hello crh26 Welcome to the forum.

The fern like suture lines do indeed suggest an ammonite, but do you have any idea where de fossils where found? It would help a lot for the determination.

Kevin

• I found this Informative 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hello Kevin,

Thank you so much for the welcome and quick reply. I unfortunately do not know where they were found. They were purchased in Alaska about 20 years ago.

Thanks again,

Christy

Hi, and Welcome to the Forum. :)

I believe the Orthoceras fossils are from Morocco, and are generally considered to be Devonian in age, although various sources I saw list Silurian and sometimes Ordovician as the time periods.

I have no idea on the ammonite, unfortunately.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Tim on the orthoceras plate. Without knowing the site and stratigraphical position, it's going to be very hard to determine the ammonite, though. Very many ammos through the various epochs have that form and since it's just an internal mold with no shell remaining, you can't get closer to a determination through its outer structure. A real authority would have to have it in his hands and study it closer. But nevertheless, maybe someone here recognizes it for what it is. It could very well be that the ammo comes from the northwest.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hello,Christy,and welcome to the Forum!

I have an Orthoceras from Morocco and looks very similar to what you have,shape,color,structure and polishing.So I think yours cames from the same place as mine.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library