conleys

:) Hello! I was on the beach recently when I found a rock with an interesting marking. After returning from the beach, I took a look at it. It did look like a fossil to me. I took a nice look at this "fossil" and found out it could be a Bivalve. It is clear it is in pretty bad condition- I cannot tell what parts of the "fossil" is sandstone and what parts is the actual shell. Even though it is quite deteriorated, someone might know what it is. If someone knows anything about this "fossil", tell me. Thanks for the help. Bye!

post-18081-0-81322500-1428703468_thumb.jpg post-18081-0-00776000-1428703480_thumb.jpg post-18081-0-09046900-1428703486_thumb.jpg post-18081-0-80927400-1428703495_thumb.jpg

Brachiopod

My first impression (based on the fluting) is that it might be a piece of a horn coral.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A good start to whet your appetite. Your next fossil is waiting patiently for you to come and find it. :popcorn:

If you see the rugose layer as being thin enough, the overall shape makes it a fair barnacle.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. I was back out there today, hoping for another fossil to be identified, but, there was nothing to be seen. I live in North Cape May, so there is nowhere to search besides the beaches. If anyone knows any cool "secret spots" or easy ways to find more, tell me!

I think that Cohansey Creek near Bridgeton still has some fossils but you'd have to google an exact location. Not terribly close to you but the closest that I recollect. The Delaware Bay side of the Cape has paleozoic pebble fossils and that is probably what you've found at your beach.

I think that Cohansey Creek near Bridgeton still has some fossils but you'd have to google an exact location. Not terribly close to you but the closest that I recollect. The Delaware Bay side of the Cape has paleozoic pebble fossils and that is probably what you've found at your beach.

Dude, thanks a lot! I was getting worried-There is really nowhere around here to look, and that might really help.