Sellersburg, Indiana Field Trip Today

Herb

IMI's Sellersburg Quarry ( do not call them, this is a one time a year event) fossil collecting day was today. About 35 collectors from far and wide showed up. MAFIC (Louisville, KY), Kentucky Paleo Society (Lexington,KY), Bluegrass Gem and Minerals ( Lexington, KY), Dayton (OH) Gem and Mineral Club. This quarry features mainly the Silurian Waldron shale. The Waldron contains brachiopods, corals, cystoids, rarely blastoids, crinoids, pelecypods, trilobites, bryozoans, cephalopods, gastropods and others. The plant in the lower left corner is from the Devonian New Albany shale overlying the Silurian in the quarry. It was a beautiful day to collect; 60 and sunny with a breeze. Lots of fossils were found and everyone had a fine day. The pix below is a sample of our finds of the day.

post-2520-0-41553300-1428795026_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Herb, nice finds. I am especially partial to black snails. Loved your comment DO NOT CALL THEM or me or text me or email me or stalk me, ha ha. Sounds like your group had the keys to Paradise.

I need to head your way before it warms up too much and take you up on some Kentucky hunting.

Penny

Sounds like a plan, PM me.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Oh I am so jealous that you get to hunt not just Waldron but Sellersburg formation fossils at that quarry! Some good finds there. Need to make another trip to Louisville and visit you and Mike.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

show us the conularid, Howard

It looks like you guys and gals had a good time....Congrat's on your finds

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

beautiful conularid!

• 2 weeks later...

Whew! That conularid is gorgeous. I love the other fossils too, especially the gastropods.

Those are realy nice fossils,

I like the brachiopods.

What is the fossil on the top right corner? a crinoid?

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.