Newest Addition To My Moroccan Menagerie Of Trilobites

Shamalama

Kolihapeltis rabatensis (Devonian, Kolihapeltis couche, Jebel Oufatene)

post-1408-0-81181100-1428866896_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-48993900-1428866900_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-08991400-1428866904_thumb.jpg

post-1408-0-79552500-1428866906_thumb.jpg post-1408-0-51546800-1428866910_thumb.jpg

Detail of the pygidium

post-1408-0-41533000-1428866915_thumb.jpg

Detail of the eye and spine (note the spine has been repaired). Notice the cool patterns on the exoskeleton. Most of the reason I decided it was not fake and purchased it.

post-1408-0-71236800-1428866922_thumb.jpg

Just picked it up from the NJ Gem and Mineral show in Edison yesterday. Anyone have some info on the genera? I can't find any good public access papers out there that detail Kolihapeltis.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

These are a few of the important publications describing Kolihapeltis.

Alberti 1966 is the paper that erected K. rabatensis as a new species.

I'll send all of these for you. Congrats on a great acquisition! :fistbump:

Alberti, Gerhard K.B. (1966)

Zur Taxionomie und Verbreitung der Trilobiten-Gattung Kolihapeltis Prantl & Přibyl 1947 im Unter-Devon.

Paläontologische Zeitschrift, 40(3/4):192-204

Alberti, Gerhard K.B. (1970)

Trilobiten des jüngeren Siluriums sowie des Unter- und Mitteldevons. Part II.

Trilobites of the late Silurian, as well as the early and middle Devonian; part 2.

Abh. Der Senckenbergischen Naturforschenden Gesellschaft, 525:1-233

Prantl, F. & Přibyl, A. (1947)

Klasifikace a rozdělení rodu Scutellum Pusch, 1833 z českého paleozoika.

Classification and division of the genus Scutellum Pusch, 1833 from the Bohemian Paleozoic.

Rozpravy České Akademie Věd a Umění, Třída II, 56(9):1-29

Šnajdr, Milan (1960)

Studie o celedi Scutelluidae (Trilobitae).

A study of the family Scutelluidae (Trilobitae).

Rozpravy Ustredniho ustavu geologickeho, 26:1-280

Šnajdr, Milan (1989)

Kolihapeltis from the Bohemian Devonian (Styginidae, Trilobita).

Časopis pro mineralogii a geologii, 34(4):353-361

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Nice one Dave!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks guys and Thank you Paul for the link, which does give me a little background, and Scott for the papers.

This bug was a spur of the moment purchase and I haggled a really good price from the dealer. Beforehand I did a little digging on my phone to try and verify that it was a real species and what good specimens looked like. I thought it was a cooler fossil than the Dicranurus monstrosus and "Devil Horned" Cyphaspis (which I have trouble believing is a real species and not a fake) that were also available and it fell into my price range once I haggled.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

...I thought it was a cooler fossil than the Dicranurus monstrosus and "Devil Horned" Cyphaspis (which I have trouble believing is a real species and not a fake)...

The "Devil horned" Cyphaspis are indeed authentic. This excellent paper was recently published:

Van Viersen, A.P., & Prescher, H. (2014)

“Devil horned” Cyphaspis (Trilobita, Otarioninae): examples from the Middle Devonian of the Ardennes (Belgium), Eifel (Germany) and Ma’der (Morocco).

Geologica Belgica, 17(3-4):268-275

OPEN ACCESS PDF

• I found this Informative 2

Well-played 'score', Dave! Any time I try to haggle, it's "well I can't really come down or there isn't any profit for me" or similar.

Scott does it again with the informative papers! I had thought that the specimen I looked at had the horns glued on and it looked fake. However, after looking through the paper, the holotype for Cyphaspis walteri sp. nov. looks just like the specimen I saw. I'll have to look closer next time and maybe haggle me another good piece. :)

-Dave

...Its from the family of scutelluidae...

Kolihapeltis is classified in the family: Styginidae. The latest general consensus merges the 'Scutelluidae' into the Styginidae with a subfamily ranking for the Scutelluinae.

• I found this Informative 1