Some In Situs From My Latest Trip

kauffy

Ok here are some of the pictures from my latest trip.

They are all from this small band of conglomerate and fossils layer at Gerringong nsw.

Unfortunantly these are the ones that were just not possible to remove so i just took some pictures of them!

Enjoy

DSC07542.jpg

DSC07532.jpg

DSC07537.jpg

DSC07533.jpg

DSC07536.jpg

DSC07525.jpg

DSC07528.jpg

this is the layer weathering out...completley packed full of shell material

DSC07530.jpg

Kauffy

this is an extreamly rare mollusk!! too bad it cant be saved!!

DSC07523.jpg

this is really interesting, there was a lot of conglomerate/pebbles that had washed into the same basin as the fauna and this picture shows one of the corals growing on the rounded pebble!

DSC07540.jpg

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

pic 4 is great. you can see the spirla brachidia (feeding apparatus) weathering out inside the brach. this is the distingushing characteristic for spirifers

brock

thanks Brock, i want sure as to what excatly those things were, i knew they were an internal part of the shell but not that it was the feeding apparatus. So does that mean that these shells are a type of spirifer?

Yep Cris i am starting to find some pretty interesting places!

at least number 4 is a spirifer. the other could very well be spirifers as well. but there are many types of brachs that often lived together. so i cannot be sure.

brock

here is a picture of some other spiriferes. http://www.uiowa.edu/~calvin/image/cpc7521.gif

they often, but not always, have pronounced wings and a long straight hinge line. they are often plicated and have deep fold and slulcus along the midline.

from this description , most of the brachs you have pictured qualify as spirifera.

Anson,

I don't see any photos. Got any advise --- other than get an computer? :)

Mike

NEVER MIND! It was just veeeeeeerey slow in opening. I will try to be more patient. :)

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Have you found any trilobyte? It looks as it is a Devonic layer (the devonic trilos are very ornated and rare...).Look around for them. How long is the site from Sydney? Good finds!

Thanks for the info Brock, im still not sure if those large ones are spirifers but i think they are some type of large brachiapod... i will soon find out when i get my ID book and will let you know what it says.

Sorry about the picture size Mike, I made my other pictures smaller but forgot to do so with these :huh: > :o > <_< > ;)

MOROPUS, this is definantly a permian layer, I have not found any trilobites in the permian around sydney, but there are meant to be some rare ones in some small layers, but these are the last ever trilobites to live on earth so they are hard to find.

Archived