Mazon Flora Nodule Problems

Girquir

I'm concerned that I'll ruin these if I continue to freeze and thaw on these two nodules, but I thought I should ask a Mazon expert regarding this.

post-17641-0-09308800-1429037446_thumb.jpg post-17641-0-01522200-1429037457_thumb.jpg

We dug these up in the fossil campground near Braidwood where we stayed on the April Fools' Day Mazon trip. There are ten concretions that came from the same matrix, close together in a small volume.

The first one that split open for me this morning, fell into six pieces. Another one split unevenly, on the far left:

post-17641-0-59974900-1429037469_thumb.jpg

Then the outer layer of two more nodules started to come off, and revealed parts of flora sticking out of the nodule as shown in the first two photos. Can I continue to freeze/thaw these unopened nodules, or should I try some other method at this point since there is something revealed?

I appreciate any guidance and advice you can give, and thanks for reading.

Jann

That's just part of the Mazon concretion game...

Sometimes you get neat fossils, sometimes you make gravel. Keep on freezing, and don't get discouraged :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!