Cute Little Crinoid

Malcolmt

Got tired of prepping cystoids this morning so took a quick diversion to prep this little guy found on Sunday April 12, 2015 in the verulam formation near Lake Simcoe. Total length about 75 mm with a 10 mm calyx. Prepped under a scope with low PSI dolomite .010 nozzle, prep time about 20 minutes. Matrix was a crumbly shale which was field stabilized with cyanoacrylate.

I believe it to be a praecupulocrinus but then again I am not the crinoid expert by any means so please jump in.....

post-4886-0-20586300-1429121206_thumb.jpg

Malcolm,

Great prep, as usual.

That's a pretty little crinoid, indeed. :)

Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice, I'm glad you were able to save him. Not familiar with the formation is it Silurian?

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Ordovician ......... verulam is directly above the BobCaygeon. The BobCaygeon is renowned for some of its amazing crinoids that came from a now inaccessible quarry in the same general area as this locality. I have found 6 different species of crinoids at this locality but there are more that have been found which I am still on the hunt for. By last count we figured that between some of the frequent collectors we have found 23 different species of trilobite at this locality though some were only partials.

Malcolm

I don't think it is a Praecuplocrinus. But I can't offer another ID. It has me stumped. The stem and the crinoids crown do not go with any known species. I keep looking at the picture, but I can't be sure that they go together.

crinus

Ordovician ......... verulam is directly above the BobCaygeon. The BobCaygeon is renowned for some of its amazing crinoids that came from a now inaccessible quarry in the same general area as this locality. I have found 6 different species of crinoids at this locality but there are more that have been found which I am still on the hunt for. By last count we figured that between some of the frequent collectors we have found 23 different species of trilobite at this locality though some were only partials.

:drool: - :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: - :popcorn: - :)

Joe, I have the fossil in front of me as I type this. The stem is definitely attached to the calyx. The stem is definitely distinctive. I could not find an exact match in any of my reference material. I even checked your website and could not find a match. PM me your email and I will send you the full resolution picture.