Zombie Worms Ate A Lot Of Plesiosaur Fossils

amour 25

Interesting link Jeff :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Cool link....Thank you.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Do I understand that these strange worms are abyssal, and that the case being made is that plesiosaurs were deep-water pelagic dwellers?

The logic eludes me; haven't most abyssal deposits been subducted and recycled? The lack of abyssal fossils seems not so much a mystery to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Reminds me of a story I read about porcupines eating bones and teeth from primates in Asia.

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

Do I understand that these strange worms are abyssal, and that the case being made is that plesiosaurs were deep-water pelagic dwellers?

The logic eludes me; haven't most abyssal deposits been subducted and recycled? The lack of abyssal fossils seems not so much a mystery to me.

Here in the San Francisco Bay area there are lots of abyssal sedimentary deposits preserved in the Jurassic and Cretaceous Franciscan Assemblage in the form of mostly greywacke turbidites and cherts that were scraped off the descending oceanic plate onto the continental plate in the accretionary wedge. Macro fossils, save for a handful of clams and ammonites, are absent including plesiosaurs, pliosaurs and mosasaurs. I don't know why plesiosaurs, pliosaurs and mosasaurs are not found here. Here are reasons why they may not exist as fossils: they were never common; they were not buried in a timely manner to preserve them; they were eaten by the worms; they were destroyed by the turbidite flows, they did not survive diagenesis and metamorphism. Maybe Boesse can give us his answer.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.