A Fossil First

Shellseeker

I found this a couple of weeks back and initially had no clue.. it was clearly a fossil, but also different and unexpected. It is a fragment and I believe I know which animal. It has heightened value because it is the only one I have ever found. It goes in a Riker box.

Sad to say, on my way back home, I dropped my collection bag and one fossil -- this one - broke. You can see the cracks. I was more than irritated at myself. Today I patched it back together. An example that proves not all cherished fossils are either complete or pristine.

post-2220-0-79006500-1429304051_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-18994300-1429304360_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Big ol' sloth!

Yes SIR!! Big is right -- about 20 feet high. largest land animal to ever live in Florida. Eremotherium. I find a lot of other sloth materials, but this is the first piece that I have from him.

I am going back to the general location tomorrow and can only dream on what it might be like to find a whole tooth.

I have been finding sloth lately so anything might happen. :D

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I love it! Sorry you dropped it. My son dropped a prisitine mosasaur tooth and broke the tip off. Even though it wasn't my find, it hurt me.

Wow Jack nice find, that's about all I have from him too but I'm hopeful to find a whole one sooner or later : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice find Jack. I still have yet to find any Sloth material.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Nice find Jack. I still have yet to find any Sloth material.

Charlie, They are my favorite. Rare in Florida but they can be found. There are 3 sloth species, each with multiple members who settled at one time in Florida.

What is the history of Sloths in Wisconsin?

Yes SIR!! Big is right -- about 20 feet high. largest land animal to ever live in Florida....

post-423-0-21414400-1429402434_thumb.jpg

WOW!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think the collective juju of all the TFF members are pulling for you to find some more of that big guy. We'd all love to share in your glee as you pull some more of that Eremotherium from where it has been hiding. Take some photos of the moment of the find--and don't drop anything. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Charlie, They are my favorite. Rare in Florida but they can be found. There are 3 sloth species, each with multiple members who settled at one time in Florida.

What is the history of Sloths in Wisconsin?

Haha, none. Before my son blessed me with his company, i would go down and hunt the Peace every April. But there still is Mammoth and Mastodon material to be foundhere in the land of cheese.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

A rare find indeed, are you certain that it is Eremotherium? The size looks closer to Megalonyx.

I think the only sloths in Wisconsin are the Green Bay Packers. Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

A rare find indeed, are you certain that it is Eremotherium? The size looks closer to Megalonyx.

Calhounensis. You could easily be correct. I knew it was sloth, sent a photo to a local expert and when he said Eremotherium, I considered the fragment size of 44mm wide and accepted the ID. I have a number of Megalonyx teeth that are not close to 44mm wide. Not sure how to proceed on a path to greater certainty. SS

Hulbert is the go to in most cases. I'm not trying to discourage an exceptional find, those are hard to come by.

Hulbert is the go to in most cases. I'm not trying to discourage an exceptional find, those are hard to come by.

Sorry for my lack of clarity. I only take items to Richard as a 2nd confirmation. This was an experienced hunter in my local fossil club. I will seek other opinions.