Two Clam's!!!!

worthy 55

Tom , I thought you mite like these. Se Bill's Dad, brought them up for me cool as can be!

overstreet780.jpg

overstreet776.jpg

overstreet780.jpg

It's my bone!!!

A Worthy post for sure!  Check it out under a blacklight.....!!!  Glows green

Ruck's Pit, Okeechobee, FL  65 bucks per day with Eddie Rucks special appearance and red carpet treatment and puts you on a good spot, or go with the club and take your chances with the group for around 10 bucks.  We try to go for the red carpet tour once per year.  This trip, a few years ago, was my brother and I, and Nic and Mike...and Eddie Rucks.  He is a trip.

Calcite Geode Mercenaria campechiensis (quahog clam) in hard, hard, sharp coquina matrix. 

NicTomMine3.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

DSC00045.jpg

Yeh, Bill's Dad was telling me about the black light thing. That is some awesome stuff! 8) 8) :)

It's my bone!!!

We will plan a trip and meet at the mine when the temps are more "moderate".  It's a fun trip and one good specimen pays for the trip.  I've been three times, once with fossil club and twice private trip and private trip is the way to go.  He has machine operators take off overburden, etc. and shows where they are showing up at the moment.  It's a working mine.  Only things like it in the world!  Also plenty of shell fossils in the shell layers and also some rarer vertebrate material, dugong, whale, turtle etc.  Could be a good chance for us all to meet that live in FL.  It's pretty far for everybody, LOL!

Wow, Ruck's Pit looks amazing. I don't know how I never heard of it despite living in Florida and being a mineral and fossil collector my whole life.

Tom, count me in just let me know well in advance! 8) 8) 8) :)

It's my bone!!!

Guest Cris

ha, some of the sharks teeth from around here are supposed to glow green under a blacklight. Talk about a different way to display them  :P

I'd love to go there with a group.... Looks and sounds like it would be fuuun...

• 2 months later...

Have you ever found one of those full with Vivianite cristals? Marvellous blue-greenish cristals... :Thumbs-up:

Haven't been there yet this year.... I'll post and email you guys when I get a few times/dates for a trip down there. It's far from Tampa Bay even !! LOL. Just N. of Lake Okeechoobee. You need heavy equipment it is in a strip mine and the material the clams are in is like glassy cement, called coquina I think. Need breaker bars, sledges, chisels, mauls, etc. etc. Break you back ouch boom

DSC00006.jpg

DSC02915.jpg

DSC00014.jpg