I Think I Found A Ancient Seashore In Utah

driller35

I was doing some rock hunting in in the desert, about the center of Utah and found these strange rock formations in the Mancos Shale of the late Cretaceous (Utah has plenty of strange formations). But these caught my eye because of spacing and alignment. When I looked closer it look like a fine sandstone with a few shell fragments, I thought of Stromatolite but did not see any laminations, When I was able use the internet I found out about Thrombolites and I am fairly sure that's what they are. The formations stretched for over a mile.

post-8836-0-19960300-1429389892_thumb.jpg

post-8836-0-50794800-1429390010_thumb.jpg

post-8836-0-11181100-1429389969_thumb.jpg

A closer look

post-8836-0-39018700-1429390070_thumb.jpg

These may well be Thrombolites; such in areas around Great Salt Lake have provided case studies of more recent microbial carbonates. I assume your finds are within the footprint of Pleistocene Lake Bonneville?

Micro- and chemical-analysis could confirm their origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These may well be Thrombolites; such in areas around Great Salt Lake have provided case studies of more recent microbial carbonates. I assume your finds are within the footprint of Pleistocene Lake Bonneville?

Micro- and chemical-analysis could confirm their origin.

Interesting I had not though of that. On goggle maps the location is 38.994475 -110.351461 at a elevation of 4516'. It is hard to see but there is a line of the formations that run dew south from the road.

14,500 years ago, Bonneville covered about 40% of Utah; it has been evaporating ever since. Great Salt Lake is just its last super-salty remnant!

post-423-0-40464300-1429400973_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Bonneville easily qualifies as an inland sea ;)

If you are in the Mancos these are probably concretions. Look for ammonites in there.

You are right about the concretions and weathered bedrock have ammonites and other fossils, and I have found some samples. But after Auspexs idea that it was from Lake Bonnevlle I think he is right, because they are not near any bedrock but are just setting on top of the desert sand, I was only off by a 100 million years.

I will admit I have no experience with thrombolites, but I do have a lot of experience with the Pierre Shale, and often enough there will be no outcrop, just concretions and baculites.

They look like giant cow patties!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

They seem to be somewhat stratified, and are evidently more resistant to erosion then the surrounding sediment (no doubt that they were buried, and the softer entombing rock has eroded away, leaving them arranged on the same plane as we see them). That they are aligned topographically is distinctive: they are lined-up in a fairly concentrated line. This cannot easily be ascribed to erosional bias; they must have been aligned when they formed.

post-423-0-11274000-1429629953_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1