Cusps & Serrations

Shellseeker

I was out with a very good fossil buddy. Usually I cover the transportation gas, boat and he wants me to know that he appreciates the contribution. Today he gave me the 1st fossil photo below. I found the 2nd which I am thinking is Palaeolama Mirifica M3.

He found the 3rd. and neither of us knew the ID. I am a very lucky man.

post-2220-0-91127600-1429399544_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-42262000-1429399563_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-19619800-1429399608_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-50845500-1429399641_thumb.jpg

Here is the request for an IDentification. Normally Serrations & Cusps belong to RICs. What mammal is this?

post-2220-0-70460000-1429399759_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-81423400-1429399779_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-21539800-1429399818_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all responses, comments, and suggested IDs. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds Jack, I've been having a little luck with GW teeth lately too :) The only shark tooth I've found less of than those is cow, of which I've only found one of. That bottom tooth is really interesting, can't wait to see what the experts say :popcorn:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great finds! I think that bottom tooth is the coolest fossil I've ever seen. Can't wait to hear the ID.

Zookeeperfossils.com

Is that last one a squalodon? oops, squalodon is double rooted. Some kind of dolphin?

I do not know. However, I guessed marine mammal; my hunting partner guessed pig family (tapir, peccary, etc). On this one I am just eating my popcorn :popcorn: and I am happy that many will gain new knowledge on this one, including me,

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I'd have to think toothed whale but what do I know? I'd burst at the seams if this came up in my sifter. I'll wait with the others here and see what opinion someone with authoritative knowledge chimes in with.

Finishing up my last coral reef research trip of the year and hoping to make it back before the rivers head back up. It seems to have been a difficult season in South Florida this year with high river levels and I hope to dip a sifter in before all the fun is through for this season.

:popcorn:

-Ken

Photos have been sent to Richard Hulbert we will see what he comes up with.Asked my buddy louis he always knows but he didnt know this one !

Always great having a resource like Dr. Hulbert to consult with. I brought a number of my Peace River finds to the Thomas Farm dig last year and he was able to quickly educate me on a lot of my finds. Turned out I had more interesting things than I thought.

I'm betting there are a few TFF members who will weigh in soon as well.

Cheers.

-Ken

Maybe Xenosmilus incisor? I think they are serrated.

Thanks Al Dente,

Good article on the cookie-cutter cat (even in Florida) here.

http://www.wired.com/2011/10/cookie-cutter-cat-not-as-cute-the-name-sounds/

and TFF threads that reference it.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/11604-odd-tooth/

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/13812-feline-fossils/

Old TFF threads are a tremendous resource.

I had never heard of Xenosmilus before, and have no clue whether this incisor belongs. Still eating the popcorn. :popcorn:

Pursuing the quarry.

" The lower incisors of Xenosmilus are larger than in Smilodon, H. sermu, and H. ischyrus. They are recurved, cone shaped, with the anteroposterior length greater than the transverse. They are all graded in size, with Incisor #3, about 2/3rds the size of the canine. All the incisors show wear facets on both the lateral and medial sides from occlusion with the upper incisors. There are two small lateral cusps on each of the incsors, with the medial cusp being slightly elavated compared to the lateral. All the incisors have lateral and medial serrated ridges that terminate in serrated cuspules"
pp54 . The Other Saber-tooths, Naples, Martin, Babiarz.

I didn't look closely enough. I think that Al Dente made a good call. Xenosmilus is a rare cat with distinctive teeth. You can see some of the serrations preserved in this resin cast from Babiarz.

post-42-0-19898700-1429470875_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Photos have been sent to Richard Hulbert we will see what he comes up with.Asked my buddy louis he always knows but he didnt know this one !

Response from RIchard Hulbert:

I am reasonably confident that this is an incisor of the sabertoothed cat Dinobastis serus (also known as Homotherium serum). Xenosmilus hodsonae is a closely related species that also has such serrated incisors, but it is from the early Pleistocene and I am assuming this is a Peace River find which means it should be late Pleistocene. But if it is from one of the shell pits in southern De Soto County then it could be early Pleistocene.

Although widespread in the western US, Dinobastis serus was previously known from only one locality in the Southeast, the Reddick Site in Marion County, Florida. If the identification is confirmed through direct comparisons, then this would be the second Florida record and the first from the southern part of the state.

At least , it is down to one of two choices and Dinobastis serus is in the lead. We are working with Richard to confirm the identification. I am excited because of the rarity of Florida fossil records for these two Saber_Tooths.

That is way too cool.

When I fill out my Florida Fossil Permit application each year and list the items I've found during the previous year they are always so humdrum and pedestrian. Never once have I pulled something from the Peace that might actually be scientifically important. I'm really excited for you.

Cheers.

-Ken

jealous of that Dinobast or Smilus whichever it is..... impressive find not an animal I would have wanted to encounter up close

jealous of that Dinobast or Smilus whichever it is..... impressive find not an animal I would have wanted to encounter up close

I will be booking my next trip to Florida soon.

:thumbsu:

I was out in a remote area of the Peace River today with a couple of fossil buddies. Naturally we talked about this topic. While standing in the river, we imagined what it must have been like to spot one of these predators on the far bank 1/2 a mya.

A lot of jokes about which of the 3 of us was slowest. Soon after we were drenched by a front coming thru with thunder and lightening. Then we returned to shoveling.

WOW!! The finds I see coming out of Florida amaze me. Especially from the areas in and around the Peace.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Just heard the joke in "The Imitation Game": 2 men facing a bear (smilodon, etc). 1 starts praying and the other starts lacing his shoes. The praying man says, "You can't outrun a bear," and his companion replies, "I just have to outrun you."

Zookeeperfossils.com

Archived