Vulcan Quarry Illinois Unknown

Raggedy Man

I visited Vulcan quarry today with ESCONI and found an interesting specimen. A class was also visiting the quarry from the University of Illinois at Chicago. Their instructor suggested it might be a burrow, but he was unsure because he has never seen one like this from that quarry or anywhere else. We had even toyed with the notion of this being a cephalopod, but as you can see it lacks the septum rings.

Maquoketa group, Upper Ordovician

If anyone has been there and can be more specific by all means feel free to share!

post-16036-0-41539500-1429408001_thumb.jpg

post-16036-0-60382000-1429408004_thumb.jpg

post-16036-0-31001900-1429408007_thumb.jpg

...I'm back.

Warthog tusk. Duh....

Lol

Im in the "clueless" group. Sorry Paul. So how was it? Did you find anything else?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

ROFL that was the joke being tossed around. I found a big cephalopod fragment and some nice plates, but no trilobites. I did however hit the jack pot in St. Paul, Indiana March 27 with ESCONI. Ill be posting those photos soon. All though not prepped, the trilobite plate I found is exciting. In all I found around 7 trilobites and a complete crinoid with intact arms with a nice sized gastropod in the same matrix. Ill be prepping those soon and post the finished product. Over all the trip to Vulcan to enjoyable and fun.

Edited by Raggedy Man

...I'm back.

Pending a view of the cross section, I'm in the burrow camp.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

An answer (mostly from Pete Wagner (Smithsonian) but also Seth Finnegan, John Catalani, and Steve Holland): this is snail, probably Lytospira or a close relative. Clues include the septa and the ridge on top where the selenizone would have been. Thanks for showing this to us - Roy Plotnick - UIC

Edited by fossilexpress
  • I found this Informative 2

I have to remark on the large size of this specimen (4+" as exposed): isn't this unusually large for Lytospira?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks Mr. Plotnick. I had no idea the paleo meeting was that night or I would have stayed out there. I'll still bring it to the next meeting. I'm sure John would still like to see it.

...I'm back.

This shows the arms that are part of the crown on the crinoid and a Receptaculites sponge from Vulcan Quarry

post-18178-0-89911000-1429732633_thumb.jpg

post-18178-0-42536600-1429732659_thumb.jpg

Edited by IPieterick

Vulcan Quarry with ESCONI

What is this?attachicon.gifP4224343 2.jpgattachicon.gifP4224340 2.jpg

I wonder whether this might be a twisted-up Brachiospongia?

Ipieterick, were you there Saturday? THAT crinoid is SWEET.

Paul

Edited by Raggedy Man
  • I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

Based on the lithology, I suspect the receptaculitid came from the lower part of the quarry, which is in the Galena. I have seen receptaculitids in the Galena elsewhere. BTW, my students went through their collections today in the lab. In addition to lots of brachiopods and bryozoa, crinoid fragments, and the occasional cephalopod, bivalve, and gastropod, there were three trilobites (Flexicalymene pieces), a cornulitid, and a tentaculitid. As to the Lytoceras, this was my first exposure to the genus, which is a pretty weird snail. Based on the images I have seen, they do get pretty big, although that specimen is a the upper end of size. - Roy Plotnick, UIC

• 3 weeks later...

Ipieterick, were you there Saturday? THAT crinoid is SWEET.

Yep, I was the one with the black wagon/cart.

my guess is a burrow .

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks