Diy Tutorial: $20 Digital Microscope For Microfossils

TNCollector

I ordered a new batch of blu-ray lenses from aixiz.

These were different and didn't work at all, I don't know why. I am going to return them and try and get the good ones. Here is how you tell the difference:

bad%20lens%20type_zpsk5rzddgs.jpg

Good%20lens%20type_zpshxzlrnuy.jpg

aixiz is going to send me some new lenses as replacements, he thinks he knows why these didn't work.

Attempt 1....Took the lens out if the laser pointer. Dropped lens on kitchen floor. Lens rolls across the floor straight into the heating vent.

Time to get another lens.

So when I was looking for a replacement for the lens I dropped down the vent, I found this 60x clipon mircoscope lens with light from china on ebay for $3.70 shipped.

I will let you know how it works when it gets here.

Yeah, let us know. Maybe post some pics you take? Are you going to use it with the wood and plexi stand?

OK, the guy at aixiz said if you want the correct blu-ray player for using with a cell phone microscope, you should e-mail him when you order and he will send the right one. He's sending me some new ones.

Fossil Claw: Show us some pics when you receive that lens.

aplomado: How much do those lenses cost?

$10 plus about $2.75 shipping. There may be a better one somewhere, but I tried about 6 different types, and this gave me the best image.

When you order, e-mail him and tell him you want the ones for cell phone microscopes.

I'm going to order some more.

• 2 weeks later...

My cheap clip on mircoscope has arrived.

The first pic is a fossil without the microscope. The others are with the microscope.

post-16815-0-90511300-1439076778_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-91322400-1439076803_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-05119400-1439076826_thumb.jpg

Great info guys thanks a lot !!

Really like the pics.

I need a clear 10x and 15x for most of my photos

Haven't made the connection yet.

Meaning I haven't found the right blend of

Economics. :)

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I really like that trilobite. The clip-on scopes seem to be pretty nice, do they have any higher magnification lenses. Most of the microscopy I do is in the 40 - 50x range.

Mine is 60x.

For the pics I posted I also use the 4X digital zoom on my phone.

Not sure what that works out to in total magnifiction.

I can say that the pic with out the digital zoom are not as magnified.

Try the blu-ray player lens from azix I recommended. E-mail them along with the order and tell them to send you one appropriate for cell phone scopes (some of the blu-ray player lenses are incompatible).

Or, buy a different laser pointer.

The blu-ray player lenses are better though.

Thanks Fossil Claw for the info on the clip on! Just purchased one myself. What the heck, also bought a fish eye clip on too, not sure why...

Both should arrive sometime in Sep or Oct.

I'm was about to make this project but the lens from the laser pointer didn't work on my iPhone, it just made it blurry, I tried both sides and it still doesn't work, any ideas?

I haven't run across any pointers that didn't work for my phone, but they do exist, it is probably a focal point problem. Try getting farther or closer away to the lens from your phone and see if that helps.

The lens that aplomado had advised is really nice and would work even better. And it is cheap.

This is the dollar-store version - a plastic laser pointer lens wedged into a piece of basswood. It has some drawbacks compared to the deluxe photo station from the start of the thread, but it works nice enough!

post-1418-0-09298500-1440787252_thumb.jpgpost-1418-0-48080500-1440787262_thumb.jpg

Archived