What A Great Day For Crab Hunting!

micropterus101

Headed out to a recent crab locality find today. It has been below freezing the last week with no rain so I figured the water be be lower and clear and it was. loaded up on two backpacks full of concretions containing a variety of stuff including crabs. The big score today was four nice Maeandricampus triangulum concretions. Four in one day! A forty yard section of the creek is loaded as far as these crabs go, the four I took today were on the surface tap, tap with my little rock hammer and they came loose. I was having so much fun that forgot how cold the water was. It felt like I was walking on stubs back to the truck, I could not feel my feet. More concs under the water will come up with my rock bar next week. I have a good feeling once I get into this exposure with the bar it will turn out to be one of the more productive spots in the state for quality Maeandricampus triangulum crabs. Typically your lucky to find one in a trip around here. There is couple other spots I get them in numbers but the rock is tough as hell and the quality is not that great. Also hit some Pulalius Vulgaris spots today and my wife kicked my finding three nice crabs I found one.

First pic is of the creek. Second is of a Maeandricampus triangulum concretion under the water which unfortunatly has waited to long to be collected and the top of the crab has been worn away, but still you can see the outline of what is left of the carapace. Next week I will get it and it should prep out as a nice ventral specimen.

thecreek.jpg

concretionworn.jpg

Headed out to a recent crab locality find today. It has been below freezing the last week with no rain so I figured the water be be lower and clear and it was. loaded up on two backpacks full of concretions containing a variety of stuff including crabs. The big score today was four nice Maeandricampus triangulum concretions. Four in one day! A forty yard section of the creek is loaded as far as these crabs go, the four I took today were on the surface tap, tap with my little rock hammer and they came loose. I was having so much fun that forgot how cold the water was. It felt like I was walking on stubs back to the truck, I could not feel my feet. More concs under the water will come up with my rock bar next week. I have a good feeling once I get into this exposure with the bar it will turn out to be one of the more productive spots in the state for quality Maeandricampus triangulum crabs. Typically your lucky to find one in a trip around here. There is couple other spots I get them in numbers but the rock is tough as hell and the quality is not that great. Also hit some Pulalius Vulgaris spots today and my wife kicked my finding three nice crabs I found one.

First pic is of the creek. Second is of a Maeandricampus triangulum concretion under the water which unfortunatly has waited to long to be collected and the top of the crab has been worn away, but still you can see the outline of what is left of the carapace. Next week I will get it and it should prep out as a nice ventral specimen.

thecreek.jpg

concretionworn.jpg

Hey, send me it :D

Congratulations by your finds, and post more photos please

:)

You Wash. folk with your crab concs really make me envious. I want to come and play too.

I hear ya! I would love to find some of those!

Nice finds, love the pic of the creek.

:D

It was a very good day of hunting. We found lots of new specimens and froze our feet then on to a new hillside thet i fiund my first crab in the silt stone i was so excited Jason was great about letting me work it out all by my self id attach a pic if i knew how ill have to have mr micro help me lol

i came saw drooled and collected

Carl,

The largest I have collected was a Maeandricampus triangulum with 4 inch wide carapace.

That's about the largest i have collected from the Miocene in my area. I have no clue what species they may, hard to find documents on them from around the MD/VA area. Most of the ones i find are pretty messed up or in rock hard matrix. Do you use an air scribe to work them out or is the material soft enough to use a pick?

Its tough to find info on crabs from around here too. You definetly need a good airscribe for working out the crabs here. There are softy concretions but quality is always lacking in those.

It was a very good day of hunting. We found lots of new specimens and froze our feet then on to a new hillside thet i fiund my first crab in the silt stone i was so excited Jason was great about letting me work it out all by my self id attach a pic if i knew how ill have to have mr micro help me lol

Good job Honey!

One of my wifes Pulalius vulgaris Concretions.

rhondascrab.jpg

Good job Honey!

One of my wifes Pulalius vulgaris Concretions.

rhondascrab.jpg

There's no happier moment than finding that really good fossil. Good job Mrs. M!!!!!!

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Nothin sweeter than finding crab concretions!!! Good job Mrs Micropterus, you are definetly with the right guy.

RB

Nothin sweeter than finding crab concretions!!! Good job Mrs Micropterus, you are definetly with the right guy.

RB

Actually there is something sweeter than finding a crab concreation and that is having a misses that enjoiys it as much as you!!

Well now I know why u r grinning in the pic! I would too!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.....

Welcome to the forum!

Well now I know why u r grinning in the pic! I would too!

Oh, and welcome to the forum.....

[/quote

:D Got to love the crabs hear in Washington state

no matter how often we go out i never get tired of funding another conc. in a hill side

I am looking forward to going out again tomorrow hope the rain holds off another day :drool: :drool: :drool:

:D Got to love the crabs hear in Washington state

no matter how often we go out i never get tired of funding another conc. in a hill side

I am looking forward to going out again tomorrow hope the rain holds off another day :drool: :drool: :drool:

Hey honey ya should see what I found in the truck today. :wub:

I can easily guess that youve got a truckload of crab concs! I wish I could have been there. Looking forward to some more pics, and of your gatros too. I got a call from two of my sons today, they went over to Squim Washington to see their grandfather, but left early this morning to go to Eureka California and told me that they were at Porter! I used to take my kids there a few times waaaaaay back when when they really were little kids. They didnt stay long, a cop came by and kicked them outta there! they did get a few concs though. I cant wait to see them.

RB