Floridians, I Need Help In Finding New Places To Adventure.

LuanaRosy

Hello! I've been looking for shark teeth and fossils for a couple months now with a couple of friends and we've been to Caspersen Beach, Manasota beach, and Peace River. My boyfriend and I were thinking about going somewhere new for a weekend but we don't know where to go. We live in Bradenton, Florida so we would like to go somewhere close by. We don't mind driving a couple hours though.

Thanks!

Edited by LuanaRosy

Any of the creeks in the Peace river watershed are worth a look :) half the adventure is getting out there and looking for it. Some of the best spots you have will be ones you've found. You're in a good location, from there south and east as well. Good luck :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Any of the creeks in the Peace river watershed are worth a look :) half the adventure is getting out there and looking for it. Some of the best spots you have will be ones you've found. You're in a good location, from there south and east as well. Good luck :fistbump:

Thank you!

I used to live in Sarasota, and some of my best finds actually came from shell gravel in construction sites. The specific sites I went to have probably been crushed to bits by cars, but I know some of the railroads in the area are lined with shell gravel. If you see a construction site or noticed a gravel road, check it out, ask permission if necessary. There's also honeymoon island, north of Tampa, for agatized coral. I've heard the banks of the Caloosahatchee river can also produce good fossils. Apollo beach south of tampa has some vertebrate material, I think I found an alligator scute and some shark teeth there. If you have a kayak, paddle around some of the smaller rivers and creeks anywhere in southwest florida that isn't too swampy or close to the ocean when the water level is down, you might find some locations that have not been publicized. There are certainly more locations waiting to be discovered. Happy hunting!

• 2 months later...

LuanaRosy, I'm a little late to the discussion but wanted to say that I'm always up for an adventure and glad to meet some good people along the way! I grew up in Bradenton and now I live in St. Pete with my girlfriend and fellow adventurer. We like to get out and spend time outdoors. Although I have only recently started to get into fossil hunting, I have spent years getting outdoors playing in the creeks and rivers around here...can't believe I didn't spend more time sifting through the sand to find out what fossils were hiding right below our feet! Anyway, I have a few local spots that I know about and usually not too worried about sharing a few of the fossils with friends. Let me know if you get this message and maybe we can meet up on an adventure sometime. Happy fossilin'!

• 6 months later...

Fossiler and LuanaRosy, I'm also new tot he game and just recently moved to the Caloosahatchee River in Fort Myers. I'm planning to do a trip to the Peace River soon (maybe next weekend) for our first excursion. Planning to do a camping trip out there one weekend, but not sure when. Anyways, I have a condo in St. Pete and we have another couple friend that is into shelling/fossils who live in Tampa so maybe we should plan a meetup for some digging in the area.

Looking forward to exploring!