Paleontology As Profession

all hail tinker

I've heard over and over that paleontology isn't a good profession to go into but I have seen it go both ways. It worked fine for my father and several of his friends who were amateurs. Why is everyone telling me not to go professional with it?

Talking off the top of my head here with no real "inside" insight.

(1) The job market for paleontologists, I would think, is not that large, therefore very competitive.

(2) Petrolium geology uses paleontologists to ID forams from drill cores (ho-hum) and tell them what strata they are in. Petrolium geology has a "sunset" future for anyone thinking about starting out in that area.

(3) That leaves an academic career as an option. How much growth is there going to be in that area, given #2?

(4) To be a paleontologist requires a PhD level of education. Spending that much time studying a technical subject, one could certainly make much more money by studing in another area - engineering, chemistry, physics, energy, biochemistry, medicine, etc.

Having said that, however, I have to follow with my creedo: "Life is not about money."

A smarter person than I also said (paraphrasing) "find a career that you like and pursue that and you will never have to 'work' a day in your life".

Hope that at least helps initiate some thoughts and, maybe some better advice on the topic.

Grandpa

I don't think anyone here wants to demotivate you; pursuing that which floats your boat is the finest calling for our big-brained species. I take everyone's cautionary comments to be just that. Line up a course of basic studies, and try to volunteer someplace in the field. If you stick with it, an internship could follow; motivation and perseverance will open doors when you are ready to open them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I struggled with this decision during my college days. I worked in the museum at KU as a work study job to get a sense of it. I saw grad students struggling mightily to afford to live in substandard housing and didn't see a whole lot of opportunity to make a decent living outside of being a paleontology instructor. That wasn't the route I wanted to go. I decided that I would pursue paleontology as a serious hobby. I have made discoveries, met amazing people, and can go in the back rooms of most museums. I have been happy with my decision so far!

My advice to young people is to get a piece of paper and make a table. On the horizontal axis list the professions you think you would enjoy. On the vertical axis list professions that would support the lifestyle you and your future family may expect. Find the intersection(s) and pursue them. For me paleo is part of my lifestyle but something I prefer to keep as a hobby. I sell a few things here and there to keep it a self supporting hobby but I think my love of the pursuit is maximized by not relying on it to keep a roof over my head. Plus I enjoy being able to keep all the best stuff. But that's just what works for me.......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest solius symbiosus

As noted by others, a paleontologist does research and publishes... anything else is just a hobby. Becoming a paleontologist requires many years of study at the post-graduate level.

There are only a handful of paleontologists in the country, and as far as I know, they are all employed in academia, or doing research for various energy industries.

I am not an expert on occupational decision making, but I can only tell you from own experience, how I view things. I will start by telling a quick story:

My best friend in college was REALLY into fishing. On top of the 20 credit hours we would take a semester, he would find 40-50 hours a week to pursue his passion. Directly after graduation, he went to work on a charter boat for a friend of his. I spoke with him several months later and he absolutely detested fishing at this point. After the first fishing season, he left this job and went to work at a children's school/summer camp. After a few months hiatus, he went back to his hobby/passion of fishing and has enjoyed it ever since.

The point of my story is this: If you are compelled to do what you love under the constraints of monetary necessity, you very well could subconsciously learn to despise the very passion that brought you there in the first place. In my opinion, I have always tried to pursue a career that agreed with me on a moral/intellectual fulfillment basis and not a passionate level. This has served me well, I have been fossil collecting since I was 15 and still enjoy it very much over a decade later.

What I like to do, is visualize the worst possible scenario in a particular field and ask myself "if I had to do that for the next few years, would I be happy with my choice?" If you believe the answer to be 'yes', then I say, go for it!

Another way of looking at it, is to ask yourself, "If I do not pursue a career in paleontology, what will I not be able to do as an amateur that I would have been able to do otherwise?" I hope this also provokes some thoughts for you, because ultimately, you will are the one who has to make and live with the decision.

-HZJ

While reading the thoughtful responses to your conundrum, it occurred to me that there is a significant difference between being a paleontologist and working in the field of paleontology. There is a whole supporting cast of folks working happily away behind the scenes, and getting paid for it. This could be a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too scenario, and might even be closer to what you invisioned initially.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All good advice. I would add one other piece to it. Always have something to fall back on (a plan B in case plan A takes an unexpected detour), whether you go with a double major or on a completely different path. Be versatile. I wanted to be a paleontologist when I was a kid, but went in another direction instead. Now I know a few of them and want to be one again (at least an amateur one after I retire). Good luck.

I really like paleontology. It's more than just a hobby, it's more like a lifestyle. I looked into doing it professionally and even interviewed several "real" paleontologists to learn about the profession. I learned several things from this and I decided that going professional was not for me. Most paleontologists don't get paid very much and actual paleontology is not as glamourous as it would appear from television programs. The glamour I can do without, but I really like to eat and I like to be able to buy things that I want as opposed to only being able to afford the things that I need. Also, I was told that personal collections in your area of study are sometimes frowned upon. That doesn't mean that you can't be one of the lucky few who appear on TV and work as advisors on blockbuster movies like "The Trilobite That Ate Toronto". Do some research and speak to several professional paleontologists at different museums and in different areas of the country if possible. Keep in mind that many people who are not professionals are active in paleontology and make significant contributions to the science.

Good Luck.

Paleontology itself is rarely a degreed pursuit. It is a job title. Folks usually come to paleontology via two routes...geology or biology. Most paleontologists are geologist 'doing paleontology'...others are biologist 'doing paleontology. At the Geological Survey of Canada I'd estimate 90% of our paleontology is done by geologists....at museums, etc...probably 50/50 geologists and biologists. In the energy sector, 100% of those doing paleontology are geologists.

There is a big demand for geologist s if you are willing to relocate. With your undergraduate degree you can work in the energy sector, mining, explorations, etc. No lack of possibilities. Some folks go into paleontology after working in geology for a few years and getting graduate degrees (usually paid for by employers). It's much more difficuly to get into paleontology via a biology degree...if one does, then best to learn and do some specialized training to make yourself valuable for a museum or research institute.

Remember that many folks who work in paleontology are non-academic technical staff. Those who do thin sectioning, all manner of lab work, systems , curation, etc. Here in Alberta it is not that difficult to get a position with the Geological Survey, Universities, Tyrrel Museum, and other museums 'if' you are qualified and 'on the ball'. It's difficult to keep staff in non-private organizations when the energy sector pays much more in salaries.

The 'very best' way to be an actual paleontolgist is to be active in the science as a volunteer, etc. Get yourself known. Apply for summer work in remote field camps, etc. It's not that large a community. University professors usually know museum people, energy people, etc. The more they see your face and you prove yourself, the more likely of getting your desired job.

Follow your bliss grasshopper. It would be better to at least give it a shot, than to look back in many years and say "what if?". Like many people, you may not end up doing what you imagined, but it may lead you to something even better. Besides, many years from now someone will dig you up, put your skull on their mantle, and wonder what you did. :)

The paleontologist that have spoken to all loves their jobs and being able to work with fossils and such all day long. I on the other hand could not do this unless i worked for my own museum. The reason i say this is they don't get paid very much and all the ones that i have talked to are not allowed to have a personal collection what so ever. Now on the plus side they can get in and collect places that you and i could only dream about.

i agree with dan. wait! who said that?

but seriously, folks, do that graph thing he talked about and figure out where your trangedential axis will take you. i think i did mine like he said and figured out that i'm supposed to work two jobs my whole life while spinnin' around on my vertical axis until i become horizontal, but i'm not sure i did it right. one thing's for sharn dure - when i was young, i tried to follow my dreams and tripped numerous times and almost broke my neck, and still somehow ended up here just hanging around wondering where the heck jpbowden went, so go figure...

i don't want to be a paleontologist because i'm allergic to unoptimal ambient environmental conditions and poverty, plus i don't want to always be explaining to people what a paleontologist is and listening to their lame bone jokes and darn sure don't want to find something great and then have to spend six years makin' a xiphactinus out of it or sompin. no sir! i think i'm part sloth maybe, but i never knew until i came here that it's apparently a good thing.

ya'll are great listeners, though, and this is so much cheaper than real therapy, so thanks.

i agree with dan. wait! who said that?

i don't want to be a paleontologist because i'm allergic to unoptimal ambient environmental conditions and poverty, plus i don't want to always be explaining to people what a paleontologist is and listening to their lame bone jokes and darn sure don't want to find something great and then have to spend six years makin' a xiphactinus out of it or sompin. no sir! i think i'm part sloth maybe, but i never knew until i came here that it's apparently a good thing.

Most paleontologists make agood living. Not as good as geologists in the private sector but still around the 6 figure mark. As for 'explaining to people....'....BINGO. I worked with one Doctor Emeritus who was head of paleontology for the Geologic Survey. Like the vast majority of paleontologists, he worked his whole career with invertebrates doing biostratigraphy. He couldn't have told a dino bone from a steak bone. But...everyone wanted his views on Dinos, etc. Nobody cared about the Upper Paleozoic colonial rugose corals he spent about 50 years studying.

As for: "sure don't want to find something great and then have to spend six years makin' a xiphactinus out of it or sompin. "

they don't....there's few paleontologists who do vertebrate paleontology full time and, besides, that's why there are grad students, summer students, etc. People actually PAY to lay in the hot blazing sun. Meanwhile Phil Currie, Horner and others wander around the badlands finding the fun things. I'm not one for laying on my belly scraping at someone else's find, I'll spend the 8 hours wandering around finding 50 or so 'keeper' fossils. Besides, when on your own, you can carry a rock hammer in one hand and balance it out with a can of beer in the other.

Most paleontologists make agood living. Not as good as geologists in the private sector but still around the 6 figure mark. As for 'explaining to people....'....BINGO. I worked with one Doctor Emeritus who was head of paleontology for the Geologic Survey. Like the vast majority of paleontologists, he worked his whole career with invertebrates doing biostratigraphy. He couldn't have told a dino bone from a steak bone. But...everyone wanted his views on Dinos, etc. Nobody cared about the Upper Paleozoic colonial rugose corals he spent about 50 years studying.

As for: "sure don't want to find something great and then have to spend six years makin' a xiphactinus out of it or sompin. "

they don't....there's few paleontologists who do vertebrate paleontology full time and, besides, that's why there are grad students, summer students, etc. People actually PAY to lay in the hot blazing sun. Meanwhile Phil Currie, Horner and others wander around the badlands finding the fun things. I'm not one for laying on my belly scraping at someone else's find, I'll spend the 8 hours wandering around finding 50 or so 'keeper' fossils. Besides, when on your own, you can carry a rock hammer in one hand and balance it out with a can of beer in the other.

well, i guess if there's sufficient beer, then studying rugose coral for fifty years is doable. as for the rest, you have to realize that you're attempting to clarify the perceptions of a guy who wears a fool's cap with echinoids instead of bells on it. but go for it - i admire your spirit, and i never liked windmills all that much anyway.

Most paleontologists make agood living. Not as good as geologists in the private sector but still around the 6 figure mark.

That 6 figure salary must be for the geologists because it sure as heck is not for the biologists. I can tell from my 5 years is graduate school and 13 years as a research scientist in two very large universities that PhD level biologists make next to nothing. There are lots of post doctoral positions as long as you are willing to move and to make only enough to live on. Most of us (biologists that is) do it because we love it but we sure don't have extra money lying around! If you pursue a research track at a university where you would be going out and doing your own digs, after 6-8 years of study you will find that there are 50 applications for every position. If you are the one who works the hardest and gets the position, you will find that money to do your research, especially in the current economy is very hard to come by. If you plan on having a wife and kids, plan on starting that family late and plan on not seeing them very much during the "fossil season".

My advice would be to find something that you like but that also offers a good chance of getting a decent job. Pursue the snarge out of paleontology as a hobby with every free minute you have!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I'm with Mommobertts do what make you fill good :)

use your next live for the grap :D

don't worry be happy :faint: