Ammonoide Or Nautoloide, Can Any Body Identify This Fossil

hammomj

I found this fossil whilst in dorset near Weymouth, I was wondering if anybody knew what it may have been specifically or whether it is a nautoloide or ammonoide.

Also I believe it is made out of iron pyrite but I don't know it has gold or brown colour with a definite gold tint. Does any body have any tips for the best way to clean it ? I have done a pretty good job my self with a school compass.

post-18162-0-20165500-1429556128_thumb.jpg post-18162-0-30745000-1429556198_thumb.jpg

It is an ammonite (which is the descriptive name for the complex sort of sutures this one exhibits).

I am certain that someone here can give you the specific name of your find. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I took the liberty of editing your ammonite images.

There definitely appears to be some pyrite preservation involved.

post-2806-0-40128600-1429558743_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-89951000-1429558800_thumb.jp

Neat find.

As Auspex says, someone should be able to identify it to species level for you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I believe the genus is Quenstedtoceras, but I do not recall the species off the top of my head. This is a characteristic form in the Oxford clay of Jurassic age. Your specimen seems particularly nice; can you give us an idea of the size?

Don

• I found this Informative 1

A very nice find Hammon, welcome to the forum, from Cleveland Ohio, The home of Rock and Roll :fistbump:

Thanks for the welcome

And thanks for the name. I've attached another picture Don with a 1p coin as a size guide

Has anybody got any tips for cleaning fossils??

post-18162-0-89490300-1429562741_thumb.jpg

That looks pretty clean to me as it is! What were you looking to achieve by cleaning it? - as it's pyrite a coat of light varnish (or ideally paraloid) would help prevent decay, otherwise I don't think it needs any work.

Kind regards,

Joe

That is a really nice find, I am so jealous!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for the welcome

And thanks for the name. I've attached another picture Don with a 1p coin as a size guide

Has anybody got any tips for cleaning fossils??

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

For that type of fossil preservation you could scrub it with either a soft steel or bronze brush with soap under running water. If you'd like to learn more, then check out some of the threads in this forum: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/170-fossil-preparation/

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I just saw that you're from Tunbridge Wells. I pitched my tent in the middle of the night in a pasture there 45 years ago and woke up lying on a cow pie.

Hi Ludwigia

That is so odd it's such a small place barely anybody has heard of it. God knows what possessed you to come camping in rain England, I'm sure you had a great time apart from the cowpat

I was on my way to Wales in my regaling youth. Then I came back south and went to the Isle of Wight Festival. Those were the good old days!

I was on my way to Wales in my regaling youth. Then I came back south and went to the Isle of Wight Festival. Those were the good old days!

...endless summer:Monterey-1967,Woodstock-1969,Isle of Wight-1971

Hammomj,you have a very nice find from the Jurassic Coast.Congrats!

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library