Mammal Molar

Shellseeker

I have been running hot lately. A Sloth Claw and partial sloth tooth, good to excellent makos and some 3-toed horses. On Saturday I found a Palaeolama Mirifica m3 molar post-2220-0-48994300-1429573579_thumb.jpg

and a beautiful GW while my hunting buddy was finding a SaberCat Incisor.

Today I found TWO mammal teeth -- one known which is my BEST Palaeolama Mirifica m3 attached to a piece of jawbone!!! A few in-situ shots:

post-2220-0-39022500-1429573848_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-91425000-1429573874_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-81375100-1429573903_thumb.jpg

Believe me, there are not easy to find-- like 1-2 a year, not 2 in 72 hours.

But an ID request on the other tooth I found:

It is 17.5x22mm chewing surface. I have some thoughts, but will allow others to comment first. All guesses appreciated. SS

post-2220-0-79427100-1429574106_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-50402900-1429574129_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-19303400-1429574149_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-69000300-1429574176_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Nice finds Jack! I love teeth in the jaw, not picky at all as to what type lol :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Jack, I have watched your 'fossil cred' grow over the years you've been here, and you are in full stride! You have built a rich knowledge base, and you know exactly what you are doing...I am proud just to know you :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I love me some jawbone,too! Diggin'the photos in the screen. I get too excited to stop and get my camera.

Zookeeperfossils.com

Nice finds Jack! You are on a roll. How do you display your collection? I don't recall seeing your method to the madness.

I too find it difficult to take in-situ pics. One of these days I'll have to remedy that. Kudos on having the patience Jack.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Jack, I have watched your 'fossil cred' grow over the years you've been here, and you are in full stride! You have built a rich knowledge base, and you know exactly what you are doing...I am proud just to know you :)

Thanks Auspex, You make me blush.

It has been a symbiotic relationship with me, TFF, and my local fossil club. Many have freely shared their knowledge and experience with me, while making allowances for my early stumbles.

I have a real sense of respect and friendship with TFF members. I take the only path that makes any sense and pay it forward, which turns out to have its own rewards.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I originally thought Tapir, an extremely worn tapir but was concerned about the surface pattern and even more concerned about the narrow band of side enamel. Somehow, I wanted it to be "thicker" similar to this tooth I found last year.

post-2220-0-41522600-1429583387_thumb.jpg

So I considered bear and dugong and decided to allow TFF members to tell me that the 1st thought was best.

On my collection, I sort everything, keep a small set of 2nd best and donate the rest to Fossil auctions, kids digs, gifts at school fossil presentations, etc.

The best I 1) put into Riker boxes with related finds ( 25 max sized colorful tigers or best finds from different locations (Peace, Myakka, Orange, Chattahoochee rivers, etc). 2) Antique wooden display cases for Sloth teeth & claws, Bone Valley Megs, Hemis and maybe 8 other fossil types. 3) A very few items have their own stands (Mastodon Tooth, Mammoth tooth, 10 inch Sloth Claw) around my study/office/workshop.

That is as much as my lovely spouse will allow in the home. Jack

Jack, you are seriously on a roll!

That is some beautiful stuff you are saving from obscurity in the Peace. Looks like you are into a seriously productive terrestrial layer stuffed with interesting mammal tidbits. I need to get out in the sun more because my green envy tinge is starting to dominate my complexion.

Can't wait to see what you pull out next. :popcorn:

Cheers.

-Ken