Hunting Advice For Newbie In Calvert Cliffs Area

Elena919

I will be going up to DC for an event and I'm planning to do a bit of fossil hunting in the Calvert Cliffs area on my way up on Friday.

I know that there are a few spots to consider, Calvert Cliffs park, Brownies, etc.

I am really hoping for a meg (I know, who isn't?)

If you only had one day to look, then which spots are my best choice to try.

Is the area by Cove Point Lighthouse any good?

thanks for any help with this.

I would go to Brownies.I have gone many times and I love it there. Even if you don't find your meg, you should be rewarded with some good mako's and other teeth. Check every nook and cranny. Surface scanning water line,looking in the fallen piles. Good luck

The meg in my avatar is from brownies. I found it where the cliff pokes out into the bay about 600 yards south of the beach entrance. I've found several nice teeth there. Just be very careful around the cliffs. Don't dig in them. It's not worth it and is probably illegal. Get out there before anyone else to get first pickings. If you can't do that then I recommend you walk far down the beach to the south and hit areas that haven't been searched.

Best of luck. Lots of good memories at brownies.

Oh yes digging in cliffs is very illegal,but digging in what has fallen off is not. And sometimes can be productive ,especially if you sift it. But you do have to be careful of chunks falling on you.

Thanks for the help everyone.....found some nuce shells at Matoaka today.....hopefully, getting to Brownies tomorrow : )

Sadly, Brownies was a total bust for me.....I found literally nothing at all :(......clearly was not my day.....

Very sorry to hear that. If you want to do more collecting, I believe there are some beaches that are not too far of a drive from Raleigh. Topsail beach is reputed to produce shark teeth, although I've never been.

• 1 month later...

Topsail is wonderful. Onslow Beach on Camp LeJeune is my favorite place to collect.
I'm sorry I missed this post before your visit, but if you return, try Brownie's again. Be *very* careful at the base of the cliffs. They can crumble suddenly and you don't want to be where the clay lands. And, as said before, digging in the cliffs is very illegal, but there's really no need to.

Bring a sieve, colander or even a cat litter scoop. It helps.

I need to get to bed. Low tide is in 3 hours. ;)

• 1 year later...

I realize this post is old, but I found a ton of fossil teeth at Breezy Point last night. There virtually everywhere along the western shoreline of the Chesapeake Bay.