Is This Really A Fossil? And A Native American Axe In One?

Ok, I am a newb at all this. I am interested in finding a real fossil but after reading several posts, I just decided to ask if this is real or not. I found this on ebay (eBay item number: 271846574029 ) and it claims to be both a fossil and an axe head carved by a Native American. What are your opinions? If this is true, I can only imagine that it will make this extremly rare and valuable and hard to beleive its just being sold on ebay.)

Thanks in advance!

From the auction:

(It claims these are fish or dinasour scales)

$_12.JPG?rt=nc

(Knotches made for axe?)

$_12.JPG

(The other side does look like an axe head)

$_12.JPG?rt=nc

Nope, uh uh, no way; The object does not appear to be any of the things claimed.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

haha, just a rock. Dinosaur scales?? seriously? People will do anything to make a quick buck...

First time I've heard of dinosaur scales. Haha! You'd be surprised (....or maybe you wouldn't) what people try and sell as dinosaur material on eBay.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

a $15 rock.

Haha, yes. And an expensive one at that! Not to mention if it was dinosaur bone it wouldn't be nearly hard enough to be a tool of any usefulness.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Ok this might come off wrong but how do you know it is not? I am greatful for your opinions so far and beleive me, all of what you have said has passed my mind (especially the $15 paper weight). I'm trying to remeber all of what I researched before I came here. I remeber seeing some items that looked similar.

I really don't see the arrow head claim (although fossils can easily be hard enough to make a weapon out of (petrified wood as an example)). But here are a few things I found in my browsing history that originally got me thinking. http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/fossils/reptile.htm?vm=r&s=1 and also I know I saw other photos (below) but I mean, it does kind of look like one of these images below and heck those dents this person thinks where used for the axe head, they almost look like eye, jaw, or bone sockets...

I'm not trying to be a jerk or see something that is not really there... I'm just trying to make sure I don't pass up something or get ripped off.

fossil 3.JPG

3358647314_56754d778e_z.jpg

alligator-head-detail%20of%20jaws.jpg

Ok - your latest picture shows what appears to be a lycopsid branch, with branch scars, perhaps. Maybe something like Ulodendron sp.

I probably would have started with that picture.

Not skin, scales or dino anything. And not an Axe - I see no evidence of it having been worked by human hands.

Regards,

EDIT - I see now, that one was for comparison, and not the "rock" itself.

No fossils at all in the one being sold on ebay, and no working by human hands.

Everyone else is correct.

15 dollar rock.

Just because things look similar, doesn't necessarily mean they are.

Anyway, that item for sale doesn't look fossil-ish or artifact-ish to me at all.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

We've no way of knowing that the seller is trying to rip someone off; he may just be uninformed and going by what it looks like to his untrained eye. In any case, the object is clearly misidentified, so save your money :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Another point that was mentioned by rejd is that dinosaur bone is very fragile even if its been hardened. Using it as an Axe would be one and done. Dinosaurs also do not have scales on their bones. I believe he may just be uninformed or wants to believe that its an axe and its not intentional.

Archived