Found On The Peace River, Florida. Was Going To Throw It Back But It Looked Interesting...

shark22

So I need help ID'ing this tooth (doesn't look like a meg tooth) AND this weird conical shaped thing. Someone told me that if it has Schreger lines it is tusk. You can't see them by this crappy iphone picture but, trust me, they are present. Any help would be great!

post-11481-0-71051500-1429966858_thumb.jpg

post-11481-0-50287700-1429966887_thumb.jpg

post-11481-0-41646900-1429966906_thumb.jpg

post-11481-0-11435300-1429966926_thumb.jpg

post-11481-0-49555800-1429967155_thumb.jpg

It looks like shark egg case jerky. Can you take lighter pics?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

It looks like the solidified central whirl from a gastropod doesn't it?

Yup, that's what im thinking too.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Yup. I thought internal mold of a gastropod (even before the lighter photos). Oh, and the tooth is a really sweet upper mako.

Cheers.

-Ken

Yup. I thought internal mold of a gastropod (even before the lighter photos). Oh, and the tooth is a really sweet upper mako.

Cheers.

-Ken

While it is the only other possibility. I do not think this is an endocast. The Peace also has calcified shells, clams, gastropods, similar to those that used to come out of Ruck's Pit.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

All I can say is that it is probably calcitic, and may be organic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hardness and the vinegar test will verify that this material is generally silica. The Hawthorn clays apparently provided that mineral for the conversion in the same way that coral is agatized in the north and west of the state. I have cut and polished a number of chert nodules found in the river and have examples of corals, clams and mussels all which are now psuedomorphs.

It looks like the solidified central whirl from a gastropod doesn't it?

I agree.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think Sacha's right - the original aragonite of the columnella of some large marine snail seems to be replaced (permineralized) here with silica. There's silica-rich volcanic ash in the e. Miocene Hawthorn Grp., which could have been leached by the groundwater and replaced the aragonite. A lot of people think you can get silica into groundwater by having it soak through quartz sand, but that's the most stable form of silica, and almost insoluable. The silica in volcanic ash is in the form of tiny bubble shards made of amorphous opal - the most soluable form of silica.

I always used to wonder why the Tampa corals weren't completely replaced with silica, rather than just the outer rim. I suspect the ash came from all the way on the other side of the Gulf of Mexico, in the Trans-Pecos Volcanic field of W. Texas and N Mexico. I don't think enough ash drifted east to Tampa to do the job. I used to work in Louisiana, and there's an eight-foot thick layer of e. Miocene ash in central La. (it's why there's so much silicified wood in central La.), so a couple of feet should have made it to Tampa. There's a site called Chalk Hill in central La., because the hill is chalky white. The odd thing is that there's not an ounce of carbonate in the whole hill - it's mostly volcanic ash de-vitrified of silica and altered to white montmorillonite clay.

Archived